Topic: HDSP AIO and SMUX

Hello,

I have a HDSP AIO for a dedicated PC which runs flux anazyler.
I have connected my metric halo ULN adat out to HDSP adat in.

The problem is that when running 88,2 sample rate from my metric halo interface, the RME card does not see to follow. I get no audio at that sample rate.

There's no option in the RME control panel for SMUX.

Does the HDSP AIO support SMUX?
If yes, should it detect automatically that the sample rate is 2x?

Thanks
Alex

Re: HDSP AIO and SMUX

Who is clock master, who is clock slave ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

Who is clock master, who is clock slave ?

ULN8 is master, RME is slave.

Clock source in RME is set to ADAT.

4 (edited by ramses 2019-11-01 14:15:13)

EDITED ....

If the AIO has been set to slave, how is the metric halo set ? Clock source internal = master ?

See manual, SMUX is supported.

If clock is ok, then I see 3 more possibilities for a failure:

1. Wrong use of driver option, AEB/TEB which switches between optical input to an internal connector on the card.

2. Use of wrong transmission format. Does the metric HALO send ADAT or SPDIF format via optical ?
Maybe you need to change setting in the driver settings dialog under "SPDIF In" to "(x) Optical".

3. Bad TOSLINK cable.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

EDITED ....

If the AIO has been set to slave, how is the metric halo set ? Clock source internal = master ?

See manual, SMUX is supported.

If clock is ok, then I see 3 more possibilities for a failure:

1. Wrong use of driver option, AEB/TEB which switches between optical input to an internal connector on the card.

2. Use of wrong transmission format. Does the metric HALO send ADAT or SPDIF format via optical ?
Maybe you need to change setting in the driver settings dialog under "SPDIF In" to "(x) Optical".

3. Bad TOSLINK cable.

That is correct. metric halo clock is set to internal.

1. AEB-TEB is switched off. When I set it on, I get no sync on ADAT input status (when off, I get 44,1).
2. ULN8 send ADAT optical. SPDIF is set to Optical on RME settings.
3. I will switch cable just to be sure.

Just checked that 44,1 and 48 sample rate work fine, the problem is with 88,2 and 96k.

6 (edited by vinark 2019-11-01 14:40:27)

I know what the issue is but not the solution. With adat at 88k it is still send at 44k, that is what smux is. but it uses 2 channels instead of one.
If the flux can also send spdif over optical that would be an easy solution as that works at 88k

And what happens if you set the aio to 88k or the app you are using to 88k

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

7 (edited by ramses 2019-11-01 14:40:07)

I read in past articles, that in some cases devices might have difficulties to recorgnize proper clock
- EDIT: thank vinark for giving this information -

What you could maybe also try to make AIO the master.
You need an additional TOSLINK cable for that from AIO to ULN-8.
AIO: clock -> internal
ULN: clock from ADAT IN.

I prefer this setup anyway, because usually the application determines the clock, i.e. different project / sample rate settings
of the DAW. Then its useful, if the external devices get the clock from the recording devices, in this case the AIO.

ramses wrote:

I read in past articles, that in some cases devices might have difficulties to recorgnize proper clock
- EDIT: thank vinark for giving this information -

What you could maybe also try to make AIO the master.
You need an additional TOSLINK cable for that from AIO to ULN-8.
AIO: clock -> internal
ULN: clock from ADAT IN.

I prefer this setup anyway, because usually the application determines the clock, i.e. different project / sample rate settings
of the DAW. Then its useful, if the external devices get the clock from the recording devices, in this case the AIO.

Switched to a different cable, no change.

I cannot set the RME to master, as I have multiple interfaces (including an apogee) so I prefer to set my main ULN8 as master and the rest of them as slaves. The PC where the RME is set it only an analyzer PC sitting in the back of the room, I don't even have direct mouse-keyboard with that PC. It makes sense to be a slave.

I suspect this may has to do with the metric halo 3D interface software which is still in public beta. Even though I talked with them and they confirmed that they set the VMUX correctly.

The problem is indeed with VMUX, I just don't know at which side (metric halo or RME).

Thanks
Alex

9 (edited by planck 2019-11-01 14:50:44)

vinark wrote:

I know what the issue is but not the solution. With adat at 88k it is still send at 44k, that is what smux is. but it uses 2 channels instead of one.
If the flux can also send spdif over optical that would be an easy solution as that works at 88k

And what happens if you set the aio to 88k or the app you are using to 88k

Yes, it's probably related to VMUX.

When I set it manually to 88,2, nothing happens. I get the same behaviour as previously (no audio).

10 (edited by vinark 2019-11-01 14:56:28)

I read the manual for the hdsp9632, cause I have that one, and IFAIUI you have to set the card to 88k from the application you are using. The card will then know that the adat in at 44k is smuxed. It will show 88k as sample rate but 44k as the adat port sync.

Vincent, Amsterdam

vinark wrote:

I read the manual for the hdsp9632, cause I have that one, and IFAIUI you have to set the card to 88k from the application you are using. The card will then know that the adat in at 44k is smuxed. It will show 88k as sample rate but 44k as the adat port sync.

Tried that. Doesn't work.

No matter what I do I will get audio over to RME when 88,2 or 96.

No matter what I do I will get audio over to RME when 88,2 or 96.???
What do you mean? Any audio in totalmix? When set to 88k totalmix should only show 4 adat channels.

Vincent, Amsterdam

vinark wrote:

No matter what I do I will get audio over to RME when 88,2 or 96.???
What do you mean? Any audio in totalmix? When set to 88k totalmix should only show 4 adat channels.

It does show 4 adat channels, but I get no audio coming via ADAT.

Well then it is 99% sure everything is set at the rme side. And it does work at 44k?
Why not use spdif?

Vincent, Amsterdam

vinark wrote:

Well then it is 99% sure everything is set at the rme side. And it does work at 44k?
Why not use spdif?

I don't have SPDIF on metric halo, but I do have AES!
Just connected it via AES (just remembered that RME has a breakout cable with AES) and it works wonderfully ! lol.

Still, If I get any update from metric halo for the adat issue, I will update this thread.

Thanks !