Topic: Electrical Discharge

Dear Community,

I've just bought my DAC but when I touch its body with my fingers, I feel static electric.

Does any of you experiencing same thing and does it effect my sound quality?

Btw I dont have the same thing with any of my other devices connected.

Best Regards..

Re: Electrical Discharge

This should not be the case.
To find out whether this is being caused by the unit itself or your electrical installation
I would try the device in different locations.
If you bought online and are able to return the unit, I would proactively try to ask for replacement
before this possibility expires.
Make note about the serial number to see whether you get another unit back.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Buy a MacBook and touch the cover and you get the same electric massage. Fully normal for unearthed units. The DAC will be earthed as soon as you connect to something (PC, Amp...) and that feeling goes away. Sadly...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

static "shots" are usually caused by increased electrical potential discharges from air being caused by air being too dry,
this is usually problem during winter when because of heating air humidity drops, you can measure if your room humidity is less than 40% as such condition isn't good for any electrical devices

HDSPe AIO, ADI-2 DAC, Fireface UFX, Octamic D, Octamic II
Reaper, High Sierra

Aaah yes the "static" electricity ... now I got the point, sure these I also have on my ADI-2 DAC in standalone mode and not with the ADI-2 Pro FS which is connected to USB.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

This is not about 'static shock' or humidity. It's about a constant flow of leakage current to ground. And if no ground is connected the human body is the way the current travels.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Many thanks for the answers. The finger tickling feel has gone away after I tried it with other sockets and connected it to my whole system.