Topic: Simulating other DACs

Hi Everyone,

I'm happy owner of Adi 2 Dac for nearly one year. I was switched from Chrod Hugo 1.
My system composed of Oppo 105, MiniDsp DDRC 22D, Adi 2 Dac, Atc scm40 active. I use Sommer XLR cables as speaker cable and the rest of cables (interconnect & power cord) are from Supra. I used a balanced power supply to feed them the juice.

The sound is great and transparent. The noise floor is definitely lower and sound has more details with the Adi 2 than with the Hugo.

But sometimes, I missed the "warmer" sound of the Hugo.

How can I set the EQ to obtain a Hugo sound, a schiit yggy sound, other iconic Dacs sound etc. It would be awesome to own a Day that can simulate other Dacs. Anybody has that information?

Maybe this topics has been already answered before but I could not find the thread.

Thanks you in advance

Re: Simulating other DACs

How does NOS sound for you ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I believe you are asking for harmonic saturation?
that's probably not what RME is going for with their "sound-transparent-almost-surgical" interfaces

HDSPe AIO, ADI-2 DAC, Fireface UFX, Octamic D, Octamic II
Reaper, High Sierra

ramses wrote:

How does NOS sound for you ?

Yes! I find using NOS creates a "warmer" sound if that's even a thing.
I realise it's all psychoacoustics at work but, to my ear, using NOS definitely softens the sound.

I regularly flick between NOS and SDSharp to hear the difference. I generally find that I prefer SDSharp as it adds a "zing" to the top end.

I need to lie down now as I've used some audiophile words and I'm feeling a bit unwell. big_smile

RME ADI2 PRO FS R be - Genelec 8341AWM - Arendal 1723 1S Subwoofer (x2)

You can try upsampling through Signalyst HQPlayer. It allows you to choose from a variety of modulators and filters. I believe that the developer even created a "Chord-like" filter option for those that like the sound.

I use it with Roon in which you can select HQPlayer as your output device. In HQ Player you select your DAC or a network attached endpoint. It takes a bit of doing to get it all set up, and you will need a reasonably powerful desktop, but it really gives you a range of filter options that can really change the character of the rendered audio. It's like having 20 DACs in one. For pleasure listening, I use it to upsample Redbook material to DSD 256 which I then send to my RME ADI-2 DAC in DSD.

@ramses, Yes, I have been using the NOS for quite some time now. And can confirm that the sound is relatively warmer compared to the other filters.

As pointed by @tzzsmk, I'm probably looking at the harmonic saturation and Adi 2 Dac will not be able to deliver. Therefore, I can give up my crazy idea of simulating other DACs' sound by twisting the RME EQ.

@justins, inserting a computer in the chain is not an option, therefore cannot consider Signalyst HQPlayer. But nice to know this option is available.

Alternatively I can replace the speaker cable to color the sound, but don't want to explore that avenue as changing cables requires much dexterity behind my equipment, a real battle that can take easily half a day. Beside, I don't want to spend money at the moment.   

Guess if I want a warmer sound, I will need to increase the db of mid range frequency. Anyone can suggest any value for that?

Good think about Adi 2 is that if one gets bored with the same sound, one can twist it and replay the same music library over again.

First decide if warmer for you means...It's a little to bright or a little short on the lower spectrum.
I would start with high shelving from 4k -1db. even -2 or-3 db can work wonders. Adding low mids or lows is much more difficult as it is very dependent on the source material!

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

@pa: I suggested NOS, because it removes something from high frequencies.
This saves you potentially some EQing in the high frequency area ...

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I have added few decibels below frequency 100Hz. The best suited my room was +3db.

Sound carries more weight and I prefer to before. 

I have tried to increase the decibels from:
  1) the Adi 2 Dac
OR
  2) DDRC 22D Dirac Live

To my surprise, modifying the sound from the RME sounds smoother.

The modified sound from the Dirac Live was more hash, forward.

Will report my other « subjective » findings

I have added few decibels below frequency 100Hz. The best suited my room was +3db.

Sound carries more weight and I prefer to before. 

I have tried to increase the decibels from:
  1) the Adi 2 Dac
OR
  2) DDRC 22D Dirac Live

To my surprise, modifying the sound from the RME sounds smoother.

The modified sound from the Dirac Live was more hash, forward.

Will report my other « subjective » findings

In a room you have players and instruments. They are recorded with microphones and mixed (creatively).
Then you have speakers a room and a listener. These make 99.99% of the sound. At least.
Mic preamps, ADDA mixer boards forget about them as a meaningful influence, forget all electronics.
Thing is as a listener you have only influence at the last part. DA AMP speakers room listener. But most forgotten is the listener himself. His mood is most important for perception.

I play, record, mix and master. So I know how little influence ADDA and other electronics have on the end result. Except maybe on noise floor, which is lower then acoustic noise nowadays so also meningless. Dostortion is so low that as a mixer I have to add distortion because to our ears it does not sound right without.
This is not about audiophily being nonsense, but to encourage influencing your mood more directly then with buying new dacs. For example smell taste and lighting. I am sure things sound different in blue light and candle light. Of course spending money is a nice hobby LOL.
Sorry for my English. I was not in the mood to try too hard to write perfect English.
Cheers!

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

@vinark: Your English is all right. We can fully grasp your meaning. Thanks for sharing your insight. I did not know that mixing engineers will purposely insert distortions to sound to please our ears. It is mind blowing! It is true that our mood play a major role in evaluating the quality of the sound.

In case anyone has missed it, there is a review of the Adi 2 Dac on Audiophile Style website as below:
https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/ … view-r852/

The reviewer is no so in praise of the SQ but gives thumbs up for the multiple functionalities and the solid built. Which is one of the factors that compelled me to acquire the Adi 2 Dac.

Happy reading.

Maybe a boost from 400 to 750 Hz will make a warmer sound.
Does anyone have PEQ-Experiences to get a warmer sound directly from the RME and no external plugins?
Used filter is NOS

Adi-2 Pro, Adi-2 Dac Fs

A slight, widish bell cut centred around 4k, and/or a slight medium bell boost at around 500Hz can both enhance a sense of "warmth", but as with everything in EQ: every change affects everything else/it's a subtle balancing act, be careful not to overdo it/make things sound worse, and you can't EQ what's not in the source signal to begin with.

For my digital playback chain I prefer everything to be as neutral as possible and am only using EQ to "correct" for things like the phono cartridge's uneven frequency response to get it flatter. I never EQ the playback chain for "effect", but if you want to, you can't really go wrong with a Bax style EQ which has a very wide and smooth shelf. You could try just the Treble and Bass controls (if the ADi-2 has them?), a 1dB treble cut, a 1 dB bass boost might do it etc.

If you are 44.1kHz SR, the NOS filter is already pretty audible in taming the highs.

https://musicwall.app/hermetech

15 (edited by Viennacalling 2023-02-01 13:59:54)

Thank you Babaluma - i will check it out.

I did already the NOS PEQ compensation of MC https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 50#p130950

Adi-2 Pro, Adi-2 Dac Fs