Topic: Most Complete Surface Controller Options for Totalmix

I'm curious on the forum's experience for various controller options for Totalmix.

I'm currently using a BCF2000 which is fine, but I'd love do away with looking at the screen entirely if possible. In order to do that I'd need a controller that could do the following:

1.) Have track names (I believe the Berhinger X-Touch does this)

2.) Have a way to select which output my faders are routing to (headphone 1,2, Master, etc)

3.) Solo, Mute, Pan, Volume (obvious stuff)

I'm considering the X-Touch, Faderport 8 or Avid Artist Mix.

Re: Most Complete Surface Controller Options for Totalmix

Sounds as if the ARC USB would be something for you.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by explodingPSYCH 2019-11-13 08:31:07)

I'm looking to control all of my outputs, of which I have quite a few:
1x master (stereo)
4x headphones (stereo)
8x FX (mono)
6x less used FX (mono)

The Arc would only work if I could somehow assign the Snap buttons to select specific channels (example: my 8 FX sends) but even then I would need something like a shift button to then use those same buttons for the other 6 sends (on top of needing two more headphone buttons).

Do you know if that's possible on the Arc?

Maybe you can work with a combination of snapshot and workspaces.

1. You can define each of your submixes as Main Out and save it to snapshot 1..8.
    Select i.e. Snapshot 1 for Main Out = Monitor, Snapshot 2 for Main Out being Phones 1, etc

If a submix / HW output is the "Main out", then you can control the volume level by using ARC USB.
By this you can control already up to 8 outputs.

2. If you need to control more outputs ...

Split the submixes into up 8 which you need more regulary and 8 which you need only seldom.
Save Group 1 ("submix 1..8") to a Workspace Quick Select Slot 1
Save Group 2 ("submix 9..16") to a Wodkspace Quick Select Slot 2

If the TM FX Window is open then you can recall Slot 1 or 2 with the key combination ALT-1 and ALT-2.
By this you get the 8 snapshot places for submixes 1..8 being Main Out or 9..16 being Main Out,
so that you should be able to adjust the volume.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Avid artist mix are probably dropping in price now as they announced the s1 (which you might also want to consider if money is not an issue).
Or just use an iPad with the total mix remote app. The ARC is not really designed for what you want to do (especially the panning etc.).

ramses wrote:

Maybe you can work with a combination of snapshot and workspaces.

1. You can define each of your submixes as Main Out and save it to snapshot 1..8.
    Select i.e. Snapshot 1 for Main Out = Monitor, Snapshot 2 for Main Out being Phones 1, etc

If a submix / HW output is the "Main out", then you can control the volume level by using ARC USB.
By this you can control already up to 8 outputs.

2. If you need to control more outputs ...

Split the submixes into up 8 which you need more regulary and 8 which you need only seldom.
Save Group 1 ("submix 1..8") to a Workspace Quick Select Slot 1
Save Group 2 ("submix 9..16") to a Wodkspace Quick Select Slot 2

If the TM FX Window is open then you can recall Slot 1 or 2 with the key combination ALT-1 and ALT-2.
By this you get the 8 snapshot places for submixes 1..8 being Main Out or 9..16 being Main Out,
so that you should be able to adjust the volume.

This is a fascinating idea. I'll have to try it out when I get a little bit of free time and see how it works. I hadn't even thought of using snapshots/workspaces in this way.

hselters wrote:

Avid artist mix are probably dropping in price now as they announced the s1 (which you might also want to consider if money is not an issue).
Or just use an iPad with the total mix remote app. The ARC is not really designed for what you want to do (especially the panning etc.).

I didn't know they were announcing a new model. Do you know if the Avid Artist Mix would be capable of selecting outputs the way I'm hoping to? Does it access TM's track names for it's displays?