Topic: UFX+ & thunderbolt issues: Experiencing flashing when connected.

Just picked up a UFX+ and every time I connect it to my Mac (2017, 2.9 GHz, 16GB memory), all the lights in the front start flashing and the screen is lit though blank. My Mac doesn't seem to register that it's been plugged in either. Can anyone help me sort this out, please? I'm using Apple products (thunder bolt 3 cable to Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter) connected directly to the Mac, without a hub in between.

Re: UFX+ & thunderbolt issues: Experiencing flashing when connected.

Is the unit working (and showing screen) when not connected? In that case it looks like a repeated reboot with problems to find the right interface mode. Disconnect and set it manually to the interface mode that you try to use (here TB, in Setup, Options, Hardware&Diagnosis, Interface Mode).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

It was working and showing the screen when it wasn't connected. However, after I set it to TB, a few things happened:

1) The original screen is no longer showing. It's just a lit white screen that blinks on and off. Even if I turn it off or unplug it, the unit doesn't go back to its original screen that shows all the levels and whatnot.

2) When the TB cable is not plugged in, the screen flashes RME and SW and the version number, as you will see in video 1 below. When the TB is plugged in, however, the screen flashes, but the RME and version number doesn't show up at all.

3) The blinking light combination is different when the TB cable is plugged and when it's not. The first video below shows the pattern of blinking when it's not plugged in and the second video shows you the pattern when the TB cable is plugged in.

1) https://vimeo.com/373630270

4 (edited by Antt 2019-11-16 21:32:25)

Here's the link for the second video:

2) https://vimeo.com/373630494

Well, a unit that behaves like that without even being connected is clearly defective. Please contact your local distributor for service.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Okay, will send this back tomorrow. I just wanted to insure that it wasn’t a driver issue or something involving an internal setting. Thanks for your help.

MC, the retailer wound up next-day shipping me another UFX+. Here's a clip of what happened while I was attempting to plug everything in, moments after I received the unit. Turn your speakers on to hear the crackling.

https://vimeo.com/374205094

I'm no longer having any issues with the unit after having set it to TB, but now this happens and I'm wondering: Is this something I should be concerned about at all? Could this be an internal issue or anything that can serve as a problem with the unit at some later point in time? I can still return it if need be, so please do let me know.

Clock loop?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I'm not sure. Is that exact crackling noise what you hear when you set it to clock? If so, since I'm not familiar with the clock option and thus have not used clock loop before, how exactly do I set the unit up internally so as to recreate that sound and insure that that's what caused the noise?