Topic: FF400 audio dropouts / glitches

Hi,

I've had my FF400 for about 10 years now (rough estimate).  Since a week or two i've been experiencing glitches / dropouts. They occur at irregular time intervals, but roughly said about once every 5 to 10 minutes. The sound gives a short 'crack' and drops out for about half a second, after which everything goes back to normal behavior.

The FF400 has always been hooked up to the same desktop pc and I haven't added any new peripheral gear or software/drivers that could cause the problem.

The issue is not related to recording / writing audio to hard drive, it also happens when simply monitoring audio.

It happens in any DAW and also outside the DAW when simply listening to incoming sound.

I've hooked up different sound sources to exclude the possibility of the audio source and specific input as the cause. 

The glitches also occur when playing back audio files from my hard drive, so I suppose this rules out AD conversion as the cause

I have hooked up the FF400 to 2 entirely different firewire cards in my pc (one has VIA chipset and the other Texas Instruments). I have also tried different firewire drivers.

I have tried both externally and bus-powered.

I have run Latencymon to see if any spikes that could compromise the audio stream, but it doesn't report any issues. 

I am running Win 7 pro x64. After the problem arose, I updated to the last available (essential) updates.

The RME FF400 driver is also updated to the latest version.

I can't think of any more things to try at this point, any input would be very welcome

Re: FF400 audio dropouts / glitches

Do you have a new electrical appliance in your home, since a week or two, like a fridge or similar, that would cause small sparks/electric surges on the power lines?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by taifun 2019-11-16 21:22:03)

Thanks so much for your reply smile

I moved houses recently and there was already a fridge present here. I have now unplugged it for a bit to see if this would be the cause.

My roommate measured the voltage output on an electrical outlet here in the studio room and it measures a steady 235 V, which according to him is rather on the high side but still within acceptable range.

The measuring device he has can't measure or log voltage fluctuations over a longer period of time, unfortunately.

I'll report back about the fridge experiment, fingers crossed!

Unfortunately the issue persists, even with the fridge unplugged. I can't think of any other appliances that could cause this, as all other big power eaters such as stove etc. are switched off 95% of the time.

Do you see errors reported in the FF400 Settings dialog after such a dropout?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

6 (edited by taifun 2019-11-17 21:13:37)

I actually did observe the error count to be at 6 yesterday. I didn't take time to see if the counter goes up with every dropout, but i guess we can safely assume this to be true . I never saw any errors in that counter before this issue, so yeah...

Then it's not the fridge but your current system. Something has changed or broke.

> but roughly said about once every 5 to 10 minutes

Might need a detailed system analysis and log to find the culprit. You might buy a new hard drive and fresh install W7, to check that it is really a software problem and not a hardware problem.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME