1 (edited by AdamInCo 2019-11-11 12:15:43)

Topic: Looking to make my hdspe AES cards work with a Mac Pro

Hi, I'm getting a Mac Pro (the tower, last version, not the new one coming out) and I'm wanting to transfer my hdspe AES cards to use with it. I've been told I need a "thunderbolt chassis" and was wondering if I could get an official recommendation from RME in terms of what version/brand will give me optimal sound quality.

Thanks!

PS---Just out of curiosity, is there a similar product that's designed for thunderbolt that I'm overlooking?

Re: Looking to make my hdspe AES cards work with a Mac Pro

Get one with silent fans, if you want to use it at home.
Most of these boxes will be used for graphic cards so they will have strong fans that might get loud when you work on audio in silent environment.

UFX+, FireFace 802 FS, Digiface USB
12 Mic, M1610 pro, Micstasy
MacBookPro M1
Logic Pro X

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, I'm hoping one of the moderators can just tell me what they recommend at RME. I'm not seeing the fan noise stats clearly stated on the ones I've looked at... I'm guessing the wrong one could compromise sound quality too.

Hello,

there is no way an external chassis could affect "sound quality" - much less with an all-digital card like the HDSPe AES. While there is no official recommendation, we have tested a few such devices, you will find reports in the Tips&Tricks section of this forum.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Oh ok, thank you.

6 (edited by tzzsmk 2019-12-09 15:01:09)

"I'm getting a Mac Pro (the tower, last version, not the new one coming out)"

sorry I don't understand,
you're getting the old "cheesegrater" (which has no thunderbolt and has PCIe slots)
or the 2013 "rubbish bin" (which has thunderbolt 2 ports and no PCIe slots)
???

if you're going for second option, then afaik Sonnet makes decent rackmount enclosure for it:
https://www.sonnettech.com/product/xmac … index.html

HDSPe AIO, ADI-2 DAC, Fireface UFX, Octamic D, Octamic II
Reaper, High Sierra