Topic: RME Babyface Pro S/PDIF question

Hey guys.

I am a total amateur when it comes to audio devices.
All I know is that if am to record my Kemper Profiler digitally I need a S/PDIF connection.
I am looking to purchase an audio interface that fulfills this purpose, but I have been looking around and I can see that the RME Babyfaces S/PDIF connection looks very different from the others.

The RME babyfaces looks more like some kind of a USB connection while the other devices from other manufacturers have more of a circular copper hole.
So my question is what is the difference? The other devices have explicit S/PDIF in and out connections while the RME Babyface Pro has Out and In without stating explicitly that is S/PDIF connections. Do they even use the same kind of S/PDIF cables? I mean the outlets look so different so I can't see how that could be.

Cheers lads!

2 (edited by ramses 2019-11-16 08:13:07)

Re: RME Babyface Pro S/PDIF question

The BBF Pro has an ADAT port that can be switched between ADAT and SPDIF operation.

SPDIF is simply a different protocol that you can choose over optical:
- ADAT: 8 channels @44.1/48, 4 channels @88.2/96, 2 channels @176.4/192
- SPDIF: 2 channels @44.1 - 192 kHz

There are 2 implementations possible for SPDIF
- optical (TOSLINK), with the benefit of galvanic isolation and to support longer optical cables up to approx 15m
- coaxial (RCA plug)

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

The BBF Pro has an ADAT port that can be switched between ADAT and SPDIF operation.

SPDIF is simply a different protocol that you can choose over optical:
- ADAT: 8 channels @44.1/48, 4 channels @88.2/96, 2 channels @176.4/192
- SPDIF: 2 channels @44.1 - 192 kHz

There are 2 implementations possible for SPDIF
- optical (TOSLINK), with the benefit of galvanic isolation and to support longer optical cables up to approx 15m
- coaxial (RCA plug)

Ah I see, unfortunately for me I need the coaxial type, so the RME Babyface Pro won't unfortunately do the trick.
Too bad, heard it is really darn good otherwise.

SPDIF optical to RCA converters are available for very little money, as they include only a few, very cheap electronic components.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by DeepPurple 2019-11-17 16:51:02)

MC wrote:

SPDIF optical to RCA converters are available for very little money, as they include only a few, very cheap electronic components.

That is true, but won't it make my signal inferior? Considering that there is one more "thing" that has to be processed so to speak.

I am looking at the UCX now and it has coaxial S/PDIF, but the UCX is much older that the Babyface Pro.
Now I am wondering if the UCX being a much older unit is inferior to the Babyface Pro? Am I shooting myself in the foot purchasing an UCX that I imagine is "outdated" in todays day and age.

So what would give me the best signal for the buck? The UCX or the Babyface Pro with converters?

Cheers y'all and thanks a lot for helping me out here.

There is no processing in these converters, and clocking quality does not matter thanks to SteadyClock.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME