1 (edited by Maddcow 2019-11-17 08:49:40)

Topic: Thunderbolt version of UC series?

Hi all
I need to get a new interface soon and want to go Thunderbolt for use with one of the new 16" MacBook Pro machines.  The UFX+ would suit but it's bigger than I need.  The UCX has the right I/O and physical footprint (i.e. 1/2 U) for my needs but there's no way I'm going backwards to USB 1/2 or FireWire.

Is there any word on a Thunderbolt version of the UC series?

Cheers
Gary

Re: Thunderbolt version of UC series?

No one has any knowledge, thoughts, rumours of this?

RME drivers are so well designed and efficient that they support up to 68 channels IN and OUT using USB2.

It would be silly to release a recording interface that would raise the requirements so high, that you need a PC with thunderbolt interface, especially because Thunderbolt can not simply be upgraded on a mainboard if the mainboard is not prepared for this.

I compared all solutions that I am using from RME and you will see that the Round Trip Latency (RTL) of all solutions (USB2, USB3, Fw 400) is phantastic and nearly identical to what PCI/PCIe/Thunderbolt deliver.

Even for interfaces like the UFX+ and Madiface XT with a high count of channels USB3 is sufficient to support up to 196 channel IN and 168 channels OUT (Madiface XT). Only those interfaces with a very high count of channels offer alternatives:
- UFX+           -> Thunderbolt
- Madiface XT -> external PCIe

See excel in this blog article about UFX+
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … 8-RME-UFX/

You see that the difference in RTL between Thunderbolt and USB3 for the UFX+ is negligible.
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.php/Attachment/2343-UFX-UFX-RayDAT-Latencies-v2-jpg/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

4 (edited by Maddcow 2019-11-19 10:17:41)

Hi Ramses, thanks so much for replying!  The info you've provided is very helpful.  I guess what I'm concerned about is buying a relatively old product right now with old connection types (i.e. USB 2/FW 400 for the UCX) and having these become obsolete and unsupported within just a handful of years.  I've owned my MOTU Ultralite Mk 3 for 12 years and been very happy with it BUT FW 400 was new when I bought the interface and so it has lasted (and been supported) very well. The UCX would be the ideal solution that perfectly suits my needs BUT I can't use the FW 400 port with a new MacBook Pro and I can't help but cringe when I think about spending so much money on a USB 2 interface when Thunderbolt/USB C is becoming the new standard, especially with the MacBook Pro....which is the platform I'll definitely be sticking with. Hence my question about if/when RME will update the UC series with a connection type which is considerably more "future proof" for the next decade or so.

I love the fact that the UFX+ has both USB3 and Thunderbolt; I'd be covered should either connection type become redundant.  However, I just can't justify spending so much money on the UCX when FW is already dead and USB 2.0 is quite old....how long will RME continue to support the UCX when it's already an old product??  If I'm going to spend the premium dollars to get an RME product, I want it to last just as long as my MOTU Ultralite did i.e. more than 10 years and with great support until FW was killed off.

USB 2 won't just become redundant or non-functional... You can always connect to USB 3, which is downward compatible.
There is also no set date for end-of-support for the UCX....

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

If your ultralite has what you need (I have one too and 3 RME's), why not get a thunderbolt to firewire adapter? If this works, you are up and running again for a few years. Who knows what is available and obsolete then...
Sound quality is more the fine of the ultralite.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

7 (edited by Maddcow 2019-11-20 05:02:37)

vinark wrote:

If your ultralite has what you need (I have one too and 3 RME's), why not get a thunderbolt to firewire adapter? If this works, you are up and running again for a few years. Who knows what is available and obsolete then...

MOTU dropped support for the FW-only Ultralite a couple of years ago and so when I get a new MacBook Pro (soon), I'd need to downgrade Mac OS back to High Sierra which isn't ideal (or maybe not even possible).  And as the new MBP only has USB C ports, I'd also need to use 3 separate dongles to convert USB C to FW400, which is a bit crazy:

1. An Apple Firewire 400 to Firewire 800 adaptor
2. Apple Firewire 800 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter
3. Apple Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 USB-C adaptor

None of this is impossible but as my system is for live performance, I'd prefer to reduce the number of weak links.  It also doesn't make sense to buy old technology, especially when RME products are (deservedly) priced at a premium.

8 (edited by ramses 2019-11-20 08:01:28)

> It also doesn't make sense to buy old technology, especially when RME products are (deservedly) priced at a premium.

You should see this under a different angle.

Other vendors try to fix their USB driver performance issues by offering thunderbolt. RME does not have these kind of problems because RME is the de facto standard in the recording industry when it comes to performant and reliable ASIO drivers.

The benefit for customers is, to be able to connect the RME recording interfaces via USB to all computers, not only a limited amount of machines, because Thunderbolt is still rare, at least with Windows PCs and limits you in the selection of computer components / mainboards. There are also people with older Apple computers which also do not have Thunderbolt, but USB.

In regards to costs. The cost of RME devices is justified by technology, quality, features, optimizations everywhere and the outstanding very long driver support and additional features that you get over time with your recording interface.

And expecially as you seem to be price sensitive like every customer .. here it makes sense not to make devices unnecessary expensive for no real (technical) reason and would force you to buy even unnecessary expensive computers with thunderbolt support.

With USB you have additional benefits:

1. Even with USB3 you can go up to 5m long cables. This works i.e. very reliable for me with 3x shielded Lindy USB3 cables.
This allows you a more flexible placement of PC / recording interface. Thunderbolt has a max of 2m if I remember right.

2. USB plugs look to me more solid compared with the tiny thunderbolt cables, for live performances I would trust a solid USB2/USB3 cable more compared to the fragile looking Thunderbolt cables.

3. USB is not so expensive in general (mainboard, cables, recording interfaces ...)

And if you look again into the table above how well USB performs in terms of RTT...
Or here in terms of project sizes: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … cks-de-en/

If you want thunderbolt, then get the UFX+ which is now available for an excellent price, initially €2699 now €2139.
Then you have additional benefits like DURec, Autoset, more i/o and you can make your own experiences with either Thunderbolt or USB3.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Maddcow wrote:
vinark wrote:

MOTU dropped support for the FW-only Ultralite a couple of years ago and so when I get a new MacBook Pro (soon), I'd need to downgrade Mac OS back to High Sierra which isn't ideal (or maybe not even possible).  And as the new MBP only has USB C ports, I'd also need to use 3 separate dongles to convert USB C to FW400, which is a bit crazy:

1. An Apple Firewire 400 to Firewire 800 adaptor
2. Apple Firewire 800 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter
3. Apple Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 USB-C adaptor

None of this is impossible but as my system is for live performance, I'd prefer to reduce the number of weak links.  It also doesn't make sense to buy old technology, especially when RME products are (deservedly) priced at a premium.

I see. Well I would have stopped with macs a while ago, as apples philosophy is not very compatible with pro audio, unless you can buy everything new every few years. And even then an OS update might and has killed everything. At least for months. This is not meant as an OS debate, just about the road apple has taken.
BTW fw800 to 400 is just a cable.

Vincent, Amsterdam

Guys, I appreciate your replies and the different insights you've provided. I've decided to buy a UFX+ because it should (crossing my fingers) last me for quite a long time.  I actually wanted to buy a Fireface 400 all those years ago but just couldn't afford it, and so I got the Ultralite instead.  I still can't really afford the UFX+...unless I look at it as a long-term investment.  As a wind controller player using Apple's MainStage, I'm very sensitive to latency and the UFX+ should be a big improvement in this area.  With my current setup (and using in-ear monitoring), any sample buffer higher than 64 introduces unacceptable latency (i.e. > 8ms) but the tradeoff is that I've got to push my MacBook Pro really hard - and devise clever workarounds - in order to avoid increasing the buffer size.  I've recently been getting some distortion when using certain patches at gigs and this is a sign that my system is right on the edge of its performance capacity; and with each new iteration of softsynths/plugins becoming more demanding of system resources, I figured that now is the time to bite the bullet and upgrade my system.

The other reason I'm getting the UFX+ is because of its ability to function as a standalone mixer with onboard DSP effects.  At the moment, I have a separate gig rig with a Behringer XR12 for use with my band and I really don't like the XR12....it sounds awful.  However, it can be used completely wirelessly with a tablet and that's the one significant advantage it has over any of the RME devices.  If I replace my MOTU Ultralite with the UFX+, I can use the one rig, regardless of the gig I'm doing.

Great choice!

Vincent, Amsterdam

12 (edited by hselters 2019-11-20 11:40:39)

I am in a similar situation but the UFX+ is way too big for travelling and the UCX is really due for an update in my opinion, which would bring some features from the current UFX+/II's into a smaller form factor.

With my current setup (and using in-ear monitoring), any sample buffer higher than 64 introduces unacceptable latency (i.e. > 8ms) but the tradeoff is that I've got to push my MacBook Pro really hard - and devise clever workarounds - in order to avoid increasing the buffer size.

I think you can choose a significant higher sample rate and you´ll propably dont´t reach 8ms RTL.
With an quite old windows machine 2013 and an Babyface Pro i reach with 96 samples 5,98ms RTL and this via USB2 wink

With a higher sample rate the RTT becomes lower, but the load on the PC will be higher.

RTL times of different RME equipment you see in my post above

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 88#p147488

ramses wrote:

With a higher sample rate the RTT becomes lower, but the load on the PC will be higher.

RTL times of different RME equipment you see in my post above

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 88#p147488

Ramses, I forgot to thank you for providing this RTL latency info....this has been very helpful for me in making a decision. I really can’t go wrong with the UFX+ and having both Thunderbolt and USB3.

Thanks you're welcome wink