Topic: Delay/Reverb questions

Hi guys. I’m seriously considering buying the Fireface UFX+ and have downloaded the free TotalMix FX app for iPad just to have a look around. With this app, it looks like the Delay/Reverb are on the same bus and there aren’t separate mix controls for these two FX to use on individual channels i.e. there’s only a single level control that’s shared for both FX, meaning that I can’t have differing levels of delay/reverb for channels.

Am I correct in my understanding of this or have I misunderstood?

Re: Delay/Reverb questions

Bump. Can someone let me know if I can assign reverb to one channel and a combination of delay/reverb to another channel? Or would I be limited to using the same reverb/delay mix on every channel?

Correct, these are always combined.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ok MC, thanks for the clarification.  Just out of interest, why is this the case?  Is it a hardware limitation?  It seems really weird to have delay/reverb as a combined signal processing aux.  If it's not a hardware limitation, is there any possibility of RME separating delay and reverb in TotalMix FX?  There's no way I'd normally use a fixed combo of delay/reverb on any channel and I can't imagine why any user would want this.

Bump.
Does anyone know if the combined delay/reverb is a hardware limitation or by design?  It seems crazy to me that anyone would want to be forced to use a combination of delay and reverb rather than have these on separate buses.

If this configuration isn't a hardware limitation, can RME please consider separating delay and reverb so that they each have a separate bus?

I think it sounds simpler then it is. 1 extra send bus 1extra return. But it is actually 1 send channel per mixer channel. On my device that would be 26 extra stereo channels, 52 streams into the mixer. This takes bandwidth, processing and ram. Plus I think the reverb is ok for comfort reverb on a vocal. but not mixing etc.

But there is a software solution for this with loopback: a simple vst host and a reverb of your choice. You can even host reverb and delay in it and use the pan for the send to the loopback as delay reverb balance per channel.
Of course you can also integrate an external hardware reverb even more easily, either through analogue in out or spdif.
My hdsp9652 has no FX and I have my delay and reverb set up like this. On one machine with external hardware, on another with a vst host. Both work great and are easy to use once set up.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

Hmm, interesting perspective.

My issue is that I really need to use the UFX+ as a stand-alone mixer in certain situations i.e. no computer, only iPad. Do you (or anyone else) know if I can use some form of iOS routing in order to use an iOS delay (or other FX) plugin on certain channels? My scenario is that in a band format, I will often use a bit of delay on my saxes but only reverb on vocals. This is why I can’t use the TotalMix FX delay/reverb combo bus.