Topic: Fireface UCX with Yamaha i88x via ADAT cable

Hello, I am a new user of RME fireface UCX and am very happy with this one - it has replaced my 3 old audio interfaces connected to my PC together for complicated setting up for recording/performance ( I use multiple synths, ipad).

Sorry if I am posting a duplicated post, I am hoping to find an answer on my new setup.  I have an old Yamaha i88x and am wondering if I can connect this to RME fireface UCX via ADAT . I tried it and my RME unit front panel indicates it is getting ADAT signal from i88x. But I don't see any change or audio input(or extra channel) on the totalmix screen. I am trying to find out 1) if i88x is compatible with RME UCX , 2) if so, what can I do to show (add more channels) ADAT inputs from i88x on totalmix.

Thank you so much for all your help.
Best,

Min

Re: Fireface UCX with Yamaha i88x via ADAT cable

Hi!

Theoretically, you can, but I have no experience with mLan Devices and the i88x's manual is not that clear written. ADAT, though, is a universal format so I don't think there will be any compatibility issues!

So:

1. If you want the UCX to be the word clock Master, you need two cables (UCX ADAT Out -> Yamaha ADAT In and Yamaha ADAT Out -> UCX ADAT In) and these settings:

On the FireFace settings set Clock source to "Internal" and on the I88X press the Optical Select switch to be set as ADAT     Normal, for 44.1-48K, or ADAT Double for 88.2-96K.

2. With the Yamaha as word clock Master, keep your setup as is(Yamaha ADAT Out -> UCX ADAT In) and these settings:

FireFace Settings -> set Clock Source to ADAT In.

Perhaps, you 'll need to set some settings on the mLan Connector, as well, but as I said it is not that well written and I cannot fully grasp it, without having a unit in front of me so I can experiment.

With ADAT protocol, the basic idea is that you set one unit as Master and the other as slave, with the clock signal being transfered from the output of one device to the input of the other.

Hope this helps!

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

Thank you so much for quick reply . My trial was not working. I believe it is something to do with mlan setting with i88x.

Anyway I am glad to know that RME can be connected to any ADAT device.  I guess totalmix will show up extra ADAT channels automatically when a proper device is connected?  Or if there is any setup for "TOTALMIX" to connect a ADAT device , please let me know.

Best regards,

Min

4 (edited by ramses 2019-11-24 14:07:24)

BTW, it is an advantage to turn the device into a clock master, which is directly connected to the PC.
In your case the UCX.
If you change the clock rate in your application, then the UCX will be set to this new clock rate
and as it is the clock master, also all "clock slaves" behind the UCX change the clock automatically.

The other way around is only required in cases, where a device has no digital input or does not support getting clock from a digital input  and if you have no Sample Rate Converter in between.
Or in cases where you have a master clock in your studio and are using word clock for most or all devices.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by MetalHeadKeys 2019-11-24 13:16:41)

+1 @Ramses

You 're welcome!

As for your questions, apart from the settings on each device, there is no need to set anything in TotalMix. They will be instantly available and labelled as stereo pairs!
ADAT1/2, ADAT3/4 etc. If you 'd want to have them as MONO, you 'd need to click on the "tool" button and then on the 'lit' stereo button!

Also, keep in mind that as you use higher sample rates, ADAT channel count gets divided by half.
So for 44,1-48K -> 8channels, 88.2-96K -> 4channels and 176.4-192K -> 2channels.

SPDIF Optical is not affected by sample rates as it is a stereo connection( I 'm  only mentioning this as they use the same type of cable and connections, but on a different format).

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632