Topic: Fireface 802 can't change buffer size

Hey,

I'm currently testing the Fireface 802 with my Windows 10 64bit system running Cubase 10. For some reason, I can't change the buffersize in Cubase sometimes. I can open the settings tab, but whatever setting I choose the latency time stays the same. This is REALLY annoying.
I also wonder why there is two ways to enter these settings. One is over the ASIO device setting within Cubase and another one is by opening the Fireface USB Settings over the windows task bar. Changing the settings in both doesn't do anything.
If this is an unsolvable issue, I probably gonna send the unit back. Never had this problem with any other interface.
Hope you guys can help!

2 (edited by ramses 2019-11-23 22:48:50)

Re: Fireface 802 can't change buffer size

> I also wonder why there is two ways to enter these settings.
> One is over the ASIO device setting within Cubase
> and another one is by opening the Fireface USB Settings over the windows task bar.

Cubase has no own setting for changing the ASIO buffer size. It opens the RME driver settings window.

Changing the ASIO buffersize in the RME driver settings dialog has an immediate effect on the
RTT values in Cubase which is shown under studio settings.

Now would be interesting what particular version of OS, firmware, driver and software you are using.
Which Windows 10 version ?
Which RME ASIO Driver version ?
Which RME 802 firmeware ?
Which Cubase version ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I have the exact same problem with my FF UCX (USB connnected).
No reaction to buffer size changes in Cubase, no matter if I change from cubase itself with the settings dialog,
or directly in the RME control panel.
Also if I change the buffer size after I close Cubase, Cubase won't playback any audio, I have to restart the system.

My system:
Cubase 10.5, Cubase 10, Cubase 9.5 (all latest versions)
Windows 10 Pro (1909)
RME Driver version: 1.168, Hardware Revision: 48
ASUS PRIME X470 PRO (latest AGESA 1.0.0.4 BIOS), Ryzen 3900x
AMD Radeon RX 560

Every possible driver, windows and firmware is up to date.
The problem occured from the start, I also tried with an older Windows build
older bios, and older Cubase versions.
Also, every USB Port available on the mobo behaves the same.

In my case I think it is somehow related to the AMD based setup. If this is the case, I will go have to go back to Intel, which sucks, because the ryzen is great otherwise.

I was running the exact same stuff (Cubase & UCX)  before with an older Intel 3930K system,
and did NOT have this problems.

Hello!

Perhaps, it is Cubase related. Or a particular setting either in Cubase or in the FF Settings. Have you tried with other DAWs?
You could download Reaper, which has an evaluation period, but with unlimited funcionality and check!

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

In older versions the buffer size did not change when the project used only 2 channels of I/O. And there is a setting that stops Cubase in the background. But both don't sound like they could explain your exact situation.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

DK wrote:

In my case I think it is somehow related to the AMD based setup. If this is the case, I will go have to go back to Intel, which sucks, because the ryzen is great otherwise.

I was running the exact same stuff (Cubase & UCX)  before with an older Intel 3930K system,

It's no AMD problem. My system has an intel i7. It's interesting that sometimes the buffer size change works and sometimes not. And when it stops working I usually also can't play any other Windows audio anymore (like Spotify or Youtube...). The playback then sounds totally bitcrushed.
I think it has to do with Cubase. I have the newest Cubase version but it also happened on older ones. Drivers and Windows are all updated.

That is a clear USB problem, not Cubase fault. Try all USB ports, check with Latency Monitor and observe the error counter in the RME Settings dialog.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

sawd wrote:
DK wrote:

It's no AMD problem. My system has an intel i7. It's interesting that sometimes the buffer size change works and sometimes not. And when it stops working I usually also can't play any other Windows audio anymore (like Spotify or Youtube...). The playback then sounds totally bitcrushed.
I think it has to do with Cubase. I have the newest Cubase version but it also happened on older ones. Drivers and Windows are all updated.

Okay, that's interesting. I was sure it is AMD (or ASMEDIA USB chipset related).
As I said, no problems at all with my old Intel PC.

I really tried everything, EVERY USB Port on the mobo (even the pure USB 2 ones), different Cubase versions, instaling & running Cubase as admin & safe start mode. Nothing works.

I just ordered a PCIe USB controller card, with a different USB chipset (Renesas).
Maybe this will help.

Last possible solution would be to connect the UCX via FW, using a PCIe>FW controller card.
I tested this some years ago on my old system (with onboard FW controller), but USB perfomed better.
Otherwise I'm running out of ideas.

I finally found the solution for me.

First of all, the new Renesas PCIe USB controller card did not make any difference.
So it is not related to the USB Ports directly.

But I found out the following:

I use Sonarworks Systemwide Reference 4.
If I change the buffer size in Cubase I ALSO have to change it (manually) in Reference Systemwide.
After I do that, Cubase switches to the new buffer settings.

Using ASIO and WDM simultaneously the buffer size change is blocked as that is not possible during ongoing WDM operation. ASIO will stop/start for the change, WDM won't. Sou you have to do this manually.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME