Topic: RME fireface UCX ADAT channel expansion with Behringer ADA 8200

Hello, I have a RME fireface UCX and am hoping to have more software playback channels by adding an ADAT device such as ADA 8200. I mainly use multiple VST instruments and plan to assign each of my main instruments to separate SW playback channel. Here are my questions.

1) Would connecting ADA 8200 to UCX give me more channels for my VSTi? I don't need to use ADA 8200's analog inputs. If it works, would the audio quality on extra ADAT channels are as good as my original ADAT channels?

2) It seems ADA 8200 only supports 48K ADAT input/output. I have one hardware synth with SDIF connection - this synth supports 44.1k only. Would it be okay to hook my UCX to the synth via SDIF @ 44.1k and at the same time connected to ADA8200 via ADAT @ 48k?  I am concerned about signal sync issue.

Thank you so much.
Happy Thanksgiving.

Best regards,

Min

Re: RME fireface UCX ADAT channel expansion with Behringer ADA 8200

1 yes
2 The ADA8200 supports 44k too. Mixing different sample rates is not possible (without special gear). And you do need to set the sync on the ADA to slave to adat, it is a switch on the back. It will then sync to the 44k of the UCX.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

3 (edited by ramses 2019-11-28 08:35:36)

to 1)
> Would connecting ADA 8200 to UCX give me more channels for my VSTi?

Why yes ?  If I didn't misunderstand something ...

The amount of ADAT ports and thus HW and SW playback channels on the UCX is constant.
You simply connect the ADA8200 to this ADAT ports, so you are using, not adding ADAT I/O ports.

You route the VSTi to the "existing" ADAT ports 1-8 in your DAW where you loaded the RME ASIO driver for the UCX.
By this audio appears on the TM FX SW Playback channels (middle row).
Then in TotalMix FX its up to you how you  route the SW playback channels to real HW outputs.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hello!

@ewi4christ

Why would you need more software playback channels? Can you describe your setup so we can help you?
If you don't need the extra physical Inputs and Outputs of the Behringer, there is no need for you to buy it!

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

Thank you so much for all your reply. I am a new user to RME and am still learning. I thought using Totalmix FX for my each VST instruments would be a good way to save my CPU load and wanted to see I can assign my VST instruments to separate channel on the TotalMix. Now I realized I had better stick to my effect plugins under my DAW and would not spend too much time on totalmix Fx. In this case, I don't need to assign each of my VSTs to totalmix channels as all instruments can be handled within DAW. But it is very helpful to know ADA 8200 supports 44.1.  So I can buy it when I need more analog inputs. 

Best regards,

Min

>  I thought using Totalmix FX for my each VST instruments would be a good way to save my CPU load

Something like this is not possible. You seem to misunderstand the concept.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13