Topic: Standalone FF800(2) Channels->FF800(1) audio only in 2 Channels.

In Ableton, every input from FF800(2) is recognized only on channels 13/14 as a stereo mix. For example, audio running into input 1/2 and 9/10 on FF800(2)-> FF800(1) via ADAT 1/2-> Ableton recognized only as 13/14 (stereo mix). Hardware inputs/outputs 1/2-22/24 have been enabled in Ableton. It's not like I have any other ADAT connections than just the one, but how would I get every channel individually to FF800(1) from standalone FF800(2) instead of a stereo mix within Ableton? I can control each channels volumes from FF800(2) mixer but not in Ableton, because all FF800(2) input/output audio is only received on 13/14 in Ableton. My FF800(1) hardware inputs 1-10 work perfect, and then all FF800(2) channels are summed into hardware inputs 13/14 in Ableton. I would greatly appreciate the help. Thank you kindly!   

Screenshots of ff800(1) and ff800(2) mixer settings: https://imgur.com/a/9HciqAn

Re: Standalone FF800(2) Channels->FF800(1) audio only in 2 Channels.

Hi!

I think that you should raise the faders, respectively for every Hardware Input to each ADAT Output, on FF800(2) TotalMix.

Now you have highlighted ADAT 1/2 on the third row. And AN1/2, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8, 9/10, SPDIF and ADAT1/2 on the first row.
You should turn every one of them down, except AN1/2 (leave that one to 0dB).

After that step, highlight ADAT 3/4 on the third row, and raise AN3/4 to 0dB on the first row!

Repeat the same procedure for the rest of them, and I think you should be ok!

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

You 're welcome!

Yes, I mean "select" !
Prior to your post, I replied to another topic, where english was not the OP's native languange, and I had to be more analytical!
So I got carried away!

Awaiting for your results! And yes, I haven't delved into matrix routing, neither! smile

Just tried doing everything you said with no success unfortunately. Raised all the an/adat levels on all rows you mentioned. What else do you think I can do? Thanks for your great responsiveness smile

You 're welcome!

Hmm.. Can you provide a screenshot of your FF800(1) settings?
Perhaps your Optical Input is set to SPDIF ?

Yes here it is below:
https://imgur.com/a/3lJJ4Uh

7 (edited by MetalHeadKeys 2019-11-25 00:12:57)

I was consulting the manual for a bit..

Is your FF800(1) ADAT(1) Out connected to the FF800(2) ADAT(1) In with a TOSLINK cable,as well ?
Also, can you provide a screenshot of your FF800(2) settings, as well, too?

Hey again! In the last link I provided ( https://imgur.com/a/3lJJ4Uh ), I attached both FF800(1) and ff800(2) settings. If it does not show please let me know. I am indeed using TOSLINK/optical cables in the corresponding in/outs of ADAT 1 on both units. Appreciate you!

You 're welcome!!

On your FF800(2) settings, you should set Clock Source to "ADAT 1" !

I think that should do the trick, if you kept the TotalMix settings we discussed above.
Even if it's something we overlooked, we 'll figure it out!!

Hmm I just did that and still the same thing. I even tried changing SPDIF from ADAT2->Coaxial and Consumer->Professional to test. Still audio from FF800(2) is only going to inputs 13/14 in Ableton. Everything in Ableton is 100% set to what it needs to be since it's straight forward. Is there anything else I can possibly screenshot for you? Thanks!

I think I found it..!

First connect the FF800s as per the RME Tutorial Video, towards the end of it, where it demonstrates ADAT connectivity, using the second FF800 in stand-alone mode.

Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfexKXS7wNk
(I know you 've allready watched it, I'm just linking it for reference)

So now, you have to configure the second FF800 for stand-alone operation.

Open Fireface settings for FF800(2) and set Clock Source -> "ADAT1"
                                                                Sample Rate -> "Autosync"
Press "Store In Flash"

Now, for the routing in TotalMixFx:

Open TotalMix for FF800(2)
Since matrix routing is not that clear, you can do it by faders.

Set every Hardware Input and Output to MONO and pan them to Center
Now select Output ADAT1 and raise Input AN1 to 0dB
Repeat the same procedure for every ADAT Out and respective Input up to ADAT8(Output) and AN8(Input).

Now select Output AN1 and raise Input AN13 to 0dB
Repeat the same procedure for the rest of the Outputs up to AN8(Output) and AN20(Input).

After you finish this, goto Options -> Flash Current Mixer State.
Now, it will be ready for Stand-alone operation.
Power it down and disconnect it from Firewire.

Turn it back on and please, report back!

12 (edited by derrick.bettencourt 2019-11-26 22:40:24)

Hey again! I've attached my settings/mixer below just to keep you updated, but I unfortunately do not have the "auto sync" option. Although the Sample Rate is greyed out, it only reads Sample Rates (32000,44100,etc). You can see my ADAT 1 is synced though. Even when I unplug firewire800 its synced via adat 1. FF800 (1)'s clock is "Internal" while ff800 (2)'s clock follows ADAT 1, which they are both connected to as well as firewire 800. All channels from ff800(2) goes to ff800(1) but only goes into Ableton as Inputs 13/14 strictly. No other inputs from ff800(2) respond in Ableton. Does everything check out in my screenshots? Thanks again for your assistance smile

https://imgur.com/a/6kayKjZ

Hey!

Screenshots are good! The greyed-out samplerates mean they 're autosynced to your Ableton project, so all good.
Now, since the FF800(2) channels are seen at FF800(1) as intended, then perhaps it is a matter of configuration in Ableton.

Here is a quote from Ableton's page:

The list of available inputs and outputs depends on the Audio Preferences, which can be reached via the Input and Output Channel choosers’ “Configure...“ option. Note that the Audio Preferences also provide access to the Channel Configuration dialogs, which determine which inputs and outputs are used, and whether they are available to Live as mono or stereo pairs. Essentially, the Channel Configuration dialog tells Live what it needs to know about how the computer is connected to the other audio components in your studio.

Also, can you check with another DAW?
You could download Reaper, which has an evaluation period, but with unlimited functionality, and check there as well !

Thanks for confirming that for me! I promise you I have everything in Ableton the way it should. Here's a screenshot to prove it: https://imgur.com/a/XuFlAxD

There's no where else in Ableton to adjust these settings. If I have the time I will try Reaper, but in the meantime I'm just going to attempt to "Total Rest" and go through everything you've instructed. I will get back to you on this!

Ok!
Waiting for update!

16 (edited by derrick.bettencourt 2019-11-28 01:19:16)

Hey again so all ff800(2) audio still exclusive to input channels 13/14 on ableton. What I have found though, is that if I copy the submix of adat 1/2 to adat 3/4-adat 15/16 in the mixer on ff800(2) page, I can get the input channels 15,16,17,etc to work in Ableton. Finally! But it is only half way solved. So maybe if I play around a bit with TotalMix assigning I can get it to work. But still it is a bit confusing! I appreciate any additional tips you have since you've been so wonderful. Please let me know if there's anything I can provide. Thanks!

Hey, again!

Hmm, I admit it is a bit confusing, but we 'll find out!
Can you provide a screenshot of the matrix view of both FF800s?

18 (edited by derrick.bettencourt 2019-11-28 01:46:56)

I can run audio into channels 1-10 on ff800(2) and get them assigned to adat 1/2, 3/4, etc. I'm having a hard time assigning individual channels to adat 1/2, 3/4, etc though. What i did though was copy/mirror output of adat 1/2, and pasted it to 3/4 and 5/6, and this is how I got ff800(2) running into Ableton input channels 13/14, 15/16, 17/18, etc. It's all playing the same audio though. Do you know how to link the individual channels to designated adat number? Here's the shots: https://imgur.com/a/EGrAjBV

Ok!

Let's take it one step a time!

Change to default view of TotalMix and
Select Output ADAT 1/2 on the third row
Raise Input AN1/2 to 0dB on the first row
Turn every other Input Fader down on the first row.

Select Output ADAT 3/4 on the third row
Raise Input AN3/4 to 0dB on the first row

Select Output ADAT 5/6 on the third row
Raise Input AN5/6 to 0dB on the first row

Select Output ADAT 7/8 on the third row
Raise Input AN7/8 to 0dB on the first row

Take a screenshot of Matrix view, again, paste it, and we 'll take it from there!

20 (edited by derrick.bettencourt 2019-11-28 02:34:46)

Hey I just realized I dont have An 1/2 on my first row. I've never done anything intentionally to remove it. Am I missing it?
https://imgur.com/a/VW3usbw
I've done a Total Reset 3 times already. Anything else I should do before following your most recent instructions?

Hey! That's the third row! Named "Hardware Outputs" ! smile

And no, you 're not missing it! It is assigned as main Output. That's why you don't see it in that row.
There's nothing else to do for now, so proceed with the latest instructions!

You use the assign button / function to bring HW outputs into the TM FX control room (Phones, Monitors).
By this you get typical control room functions for monitors and phones, like: mute, dim, ...
By this the output moves to the control room section, otherwise you would have/see it double and this makes no sense.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hey I just followed your most recent instructions! Here's the matrix: https://imgur.com/a/lhUsSdU for ff800(2)
Also the Software Playback ADAT volumes followed the corresponding Hardware Inputs/Outputs when I raised them. For example, when raising ADAT 3/4 and Hardware Input 3/4, Software Playback too became activated on 3/4. Same as the rest just so you know!

If ff800(2) is the standalone unit then you do not need to care about SW playback channels.
Routing of SW playback channels is only needed for interfaces
- connected to the PC
- directly accessible by the ASIO driver which you loaded in your DAW

The standalone unit has no PC with applications that send audio to the device via USB/Fw.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

derrick.bettencourt wrote:

Also the Software Playback ADAT volumes followed the corresponding Hardware Inputs/Outputs when I raised them. For example, when raising ADAT 3/4 and Hardware Input 3/4, Software Playback too became activated on 3/4. Same as the rest just so you know!

What Ramses said! So everything is good with Software Playback!

26 (edited by MetalHeadKeys 2019-11-28 15:43:48)

So now let's proceed with the rest of the routing!

Up until now we 're good, regarding ADAT Out Port Routing, but let's have it properly setup for futureproofing. So:

Select Output AN1/2(Main) on the third row
Raise Input ADAT1/2 to 0dB on the first row
Turn every other Input Fader down on the first row

Select Output AN3/4 on the third row
Raise Input ADAT3/4 to 0dB on the first row

Select Output AN5/6 on the third row
Raise Input ADAT5/6 to 0dB on the first row

Select Output AN7/8 on the third row
Raise Input ADAT7/8 to 0dB on the first row

Select Output Phones1 on the third row
Raise Input AN9/10 to 0dB on the first row

Select Output SPDIF on the third row
Raise Input SPDIF to 0dB on the first row

Select Output ADAT9/10 on the third row
Raise Input ADAT9/10 to 0dB on the first row

Select Output ADAT11/12 on the third row
Raise Input ADAT11/12 to 0dB on the first row

Select Output ADAT13/14 on the third row
Raise Input ADAT13/14 to 0dB on the first row

Select Output ADAT15/16 on the third row
Raise Input ADAT15/16 to 0dB on the first row

That's all regarding routing! Take a screenshot, paste the link so we can check, and we'll take it from there!

Hi again smile
So I just read your latest instructions. I am ready to do so, but am wanting to confirm this is all to be done on ff800(2)s mixer before proceeding?
Thank you!

Hi !

Yes! It's the rest of the routing, to have it used in stand-alone mode!

Okay I followed as you said! Here's the matrix: https://imgur.com/a/KANUHNK
Please let me know if theres any other screenshots I can provide.
Thanks!

30 (edited by derrick.bettencourt 2019-11-29 00:12:29)

Update. This worked almost 100%. I tested Ableton and I can get individual channels from ff800(2)->ff800(1)->Ableton from channels 13-20 (Hardware Inputs 1-8 ff800(2)). Inputs 9/10 however do not pass thru.

31 (edited by MetalHeadKeys 2019-11-29 01:55:01)

Ok! That's good!
You could go to TotalMix -> Options -> Flash current mixer State

Inputs 9/10 do not pass, because ADAT stream is 8Channels !
You would need to connect your ADAT2 Ports as well, and use them as SPDIF, for AN9/10 !

Ok I appreciate you helping me get this far! I've saved these settings but if I'm not mistaken, in the tutorial for Standalone Mode, the directions state to unplug firewire and reboot after configuration? I did so but need firewire everytime I reboot to get the connection to work. Not a big deal at all, but just curious if I'm still doing something wrong because it could be useful. And lastly, do you think connecting ADAT2 to use as SPDIF for AN9/10 is my only option? If it's the best method I will trust you! I will just have to go buy more optical cables is all.

MetalHeadKeys wrote:

Ok! That's good!
You could go to TotalMix -> Options -> Flash current mixer State

Inputs 9/10 do not pass, because ADAT stream is 8Channels !
You would need to connect your ADAT2 Ports as well, and use them as SPDIF, for AN9/10 !

In cases where SPDIF is not explicitely needed I would choose ADAT and use the 6 channels later as kind of spare.
Maybe he wants to connect something via coaxial SPDIF later. Who knows.

34 (edited by MetalHeadKeys 2019-11-29 09:25:42)

@Ramses
Yes, you 're right! I just thought it would be more straight-forward, on the routing side of things!
So

@Derrick.Bettencourt
No, it is not the only option, You could, also, use co-axial SPDIF cable. Or you could use the second ADAT Port as ADAT, as Ramses pointed out, and use the first stereo pair of the 8Channels ! But we should change the routing and some settings, a little bit, either way!

So either way, post back, if you buy another cable and we 'll fix the routing!

Regarding stand-alone mode, I assume you 've, also, flashed the FF800(2) settings, as well.
Open FF800(2) settings -> Click 'Store In Flash'
And, yes, you need to turn it off, unplug from firewire, and turn it back on!

I 'll read some more of the manual, and get back!

Nope! Didn't find anything more!

For stand-alone operation you only need these steps:

FF800(2) Settings -> Store In Flash
TotalMixFX -> Options -> Flash Current Mixer State
Power off
Unplug from firewire
Turn it back on

Okay thanks for checking smile I just wanted to make sure before I had to buy more cables because I thought in the RME tutorial, the first pairing of both ff800's is thru firewire/word alternatively.
I followed those same instructions from the video, but every boot up need the firewire cable still strangely. I'm sure I will figure that small detail out in time, although it's minor. You've solved my main concern which I'm very thankful for! So if I want to connect AN 9/10 from ff800 (2)->ff800 (1), I need to sync ADAT2 ports from each unit and follow your previous steps:

"Select Output AN3/4 on the third row
Turn every other Input Fader down on the first row"

but instead use AN9/10 and ADAT9/10?

You 're welcome!
Glad I could be of help!!

"Select Output AN3/4 on the third row
Turn every other Input Fader down on the first row"

but instead use AN9/10 and ADAT9/10?

You should use it this way :

Select Output ADAT9/10 on the third row
Raise Input AN9/10 to 0dB on the first row

Also,

The ADAT2 ports do not need extra settings to be synced, because the devices are  allready synced by ADAT1 Port.
The only settings you should set are these:

FF800(1) settings:
                             Output Format -> ADAT2 -> ADAT
                             Options -> SPDIF Input -> Coaxial
FF800(2) settings:
                             Output Format -> ADAT2 -> ADAT
                             Options -> SPDIF Input -> Coaxial

Store In Flash, and you 're set!

Awesome! Well I can't thank you enough for your assistance. I appreciate you and hope this can help other RME users smile