1 (edited by djangomagic 2019-12-01 12:26:13)

Topic: Fireface 400 inputs glitch

Hi,

Firstly my setup is;

Mac Pro 5.1, Logic X, Fireface 400 with latest firmware and 3.39

I have a Fireface 400 that ever since i bought it second hand has this issue. Any audio input signal whether it's a guitar or a synth gets the audio chopped up and cutting out every now and then. It happens randomly and much more often when it's been on long enough to get warm. It happens on any/every input and all of the front input lights flash when it happens regardless of which input is getting line signal.

It usually only happens when there's signal going through the line but it's happened even with no signal though the line was connected.

When I record the inputs in my daw the glitches come through in the recording.

I read somewhere online, someone described this exact issue and replaced output 1/2 capacitors with success. I replaced the caps for output channels 1-5 (was 2 short) with no success.

My Question;

Can I get a schematic for this to make life easier for diagnosing the issue?
Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Thanks, Django

Re: Fireface 400 inputs glitch

That sounds like you need a new power supply feeding the FF400. The analog output caps have absolutely nothing to do with that. If not power supply then FireWire cable, connectors etc. up to the FireWire chip which could be half-damaged (you tried both sockets?) or the FireWire on the host computer. Schematics are not available, and they won't help here at all.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for the reply Matthias.

I've tried swapping power supplies before but have never doubted or changed the new Belkin 400/800 cable I got when I got the card a few years back.

Tried using the other FW Port on the FF, same problem, though it seemed to be not as frequent.

Tried running through the front FW ports instead of the back on the Mac Pro, same problem.

I'm leaning towards the cable now, thanks for the direction smile

I've ordered another cable and will buy a new supply if that fails.

Django

4 (edited by djangomagic 2019-12-16 00:31:30)

Ok,

I’ve replaced the cable and put a new power supply behind it and the same things keeps happening. FireWire ports on the rme may have an issue. Where would I be looking from here?

I can get a local guy to repair any smd issues.

You would need to replace the FireWire physical interface chip IF that is the cause. But it might be something totally different, don't know. A repair in the factory might be similar to the price that you payed used, though.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

6 (edited by djangomagic 2019-12-16 05:10:29)

Thanks either way for your help Matthias, I’ll look into it further with someone in town.

Django

7 (edited by djangomagic 2019-12-16 04:25:53)

Hi Matthias,

My local repairer is happy to try changing the chip. Are you able to supply one or point me toward a supplier to get one from?

Thanks Django

Edit; the FireWire chip is

21AFYLW
TSB43AB22A
G4

Which looks to be made by Texas Instruments (please correct me if I’m wrong). I’ve ordered a replacement from them because this is obviously the culprit. It has a lot of heat stress indicators and most of the leg connections on the bottom row of the chip look really bad.

Once again, thanks so much Matthias and RME for the ongoing support for your product.