Re: macOS Sierra and higher RME USB driver

It seems to depend on which computer you have. The latest OS is written for the latest machines, it seems. And while we have problems to reproduce those effects on current machines, some users see similar effects (GUI breaking USB audio).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

It seems to depend on which computer you have. The latest OS is written for the latest machines, it seems. And while we have problems to reproduce those effects on current machines, some users see similar effects (GUI breaking USB audio).

ok.
But the "winecooler" Mac pro 8 core should be new enough in my book.

Hope you can track it down some day.

Pål

I have same said wine cooler and not seeing any of the issues referred to.  Working flawlessly.  I know that's not much help in the scheme of things sorry.

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

This new driver might help, please try it:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/dr … ac_308.zip

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Will test. Thanks.

Pål

psvennevig wrote:
MC wrote:

Will test. Thanks.

Pål

Hi Matthias,

A lot better with 3.0.8 driver, but not gone.

Much harder to provoke it now. And not a problem like before I would say.
I can still provoke it with low buffers.

Pål

On my macbook pro I don't see the issue anymore. I do have issues with some CPU throttling, which gives similar issues. You can check with intel power gadget, if your CPU is actually giving the performance it is capable of...

Version 3.08 has been officially released, no changes to the version available here already before.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

This has been really solid for me so far (OS 10.13.5)  Thanks Matthias

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

mattrixx wrote:

This has been really solid for me so far (OS 10.13.5)  Thanks Matthias

Amen to that, world of difference!

111 (edited by truepro 2018-06-12 23:34:47)

I've been following this debate a while, since I had problems with audio glitches and dropouts.

I have a Macbook Pro Retina, Mid 2014, using RME UCX with USB driver v.2.23. I used to have El Capitan OSX installed, but had audio issues. So I eventually opted to install the latest OSX High Sierra 10.13.4, and installed the latest RME driver 3.07 - hoping it would help. Unfortunately that wasn't the case - still had the same glitches all the time.

But then Apple released a High Sierra update on the 23rd of May, which helped tremendously with the glitches. But last week, the glitches suddenly happens all over again, while sitting in a session with an artist. So I updated to the latest RME driver 3.08 and the newest High Sierra update on the 8th of June, but the glitches didn't change - they still appear randomly about every 10 min and destroys my sessions. It also appears just listening to Spotify and Youtube.

This is so annoying, that you can't get it fixed. I've battled this problem intensively for a whole month now - I don't trust my RME soundcard any more. It has run 100% reliable without any problems for 5 years, but now my patience is about to run out! Maybe it's an Apple/RME problem, since it helped for about a week with the Apple Security update....but stil....

Please fix this issue ASAP!! :-(

Try a fresh installation of OS X instead of an upgrade installation (you can reimport your documents and apps later).

It's just such a huge move, since I don't know if it will work any ways. I have to download about 600-700 gb data and install so many plugs and applications - since it's my main studio computer. And then if it doesn't work, it seems like quite a joke and a waste of time. It will take me 1-2 days - which I don't have time to do - and if I can't even be assured that it will work. Yezz!!

It sounds like it's a switch to UAD from now on:-(

You don't have to install all plugins to test if this works. Do a backup, do the fresh installation, test for problems. If problems persist then you know that you can just go back to your backup. If it works you first do an import from your backup and then install the rest being happy to have a working system.

The reason why I even consider the fresh installation to help is because I once did an upgrade installation of OS X and had dropouts in Ableton Live (think it was Lion, but not sure). After a fresh installation + import the same tests did not produce dropouts.

Or just install a clean OS on a external bootable disk for this test. Then you don't have to touch your installation.

Regards,
Audio AG Support

Hi all,

I have serious 'bitcrushed' audio/out of sync every 20 min since i bought a new MBP 2018 15"i7 running High sierra 10.13.6.

Interface: Madiface USB
Converter: Orion32
Tried all usb ports, different hubs, different USB-C to B cables, new usb cable, both current drivers (2.22 and 3.08) but nothing helps. Very frustrating. Is there a solution? See video below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAYHNGC … e=youtu.be

117 (edited by joe.cavers 2018-08-12 20:48:49)

EDIT: After going through all of this and even restoring my OS from a backup, it turned out I had set my Fireface to Windows mode without noticing. Switching it back to Apple mode fixed it. Hope this helps someone else in my position!

I am having issues similar to those in this thread but slightly different, I was wondering if anyone could help. Here's my summary:

I am on Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6 with a mid-2014 Macbook Pro. I have a Fireface UC. Today it stopped showing up in TotalMix. I installed the latest drivers (3.08) and ran the USB Flash Update Tool (1.52). Both of these installed fine. The FUT says my Fireface UC's flash is at Revision 136 i.e. up to date.

The FirefaceUC shows up in my DAWs and shows up in the Audio Midi Settings window but when I open TotalMix, it displays nothing. When I select "File > New TotalMix Window", there are no devices to select from. I can hear audio from the inputs (Line In 7+8, and SPDIF). When I try to open the Fireface USB Settings, it will not open.

I have reinstalled the drivers repeatedly but the "Allow" button never shows up in the Security & Privacy pane of System Prefs.

I am at a loss, does anyone have any suggestions?

Hey so I have a Mac Book Pro and a Babyface Pro. I recently updated my Mac to OS 10.13.6 High Sierre and the driver for TotalMix to the latest version as well (driver 3.08). In doing so, my interface no longer shows up on my computer and the TotalMix window won't open. I've installed the driver over and over again, but nothing seems to work. The "allow" button in my security settings won't show up either. I've searched everywhere on the web but can't seem to find anything. I went to the guy at my local music shop, that sold me the product and lives by the company, and he couldn't figure it out. If any of you guys have any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated and would save me a lot of headache and frustration.

Thank you.

The Babyface Pro is in CC mode?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I've tried that. When my interface is in CC, two of the inputs work. But when its in PC nothing will show up.

If reinstalling the driver does not show you the “allow button”, you can try this:

https://developer.apple.com/library/con … ction.html

Don’t forget to enable it after a successful installation.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

122 (edited by deafmute79 2018-08-22 07:33:25)

Good Morning,

My old macbook pro 2011 finally passed away and purchased an Macbook Pro 2.9 i7 QuadCore.
Yesterday, installed the drivers for my RME UFX (1st edition) and installed as instructed (going to security settings and allowing install). The fireface is connected via a USB through a USB-C to USB dongle.

The issue I am having is that although Total Mix sees the interface and I was able to connect the sound in and out of my computer to the fireface, it simply won't show up in Ableton Preferences. I only get to select the core audio as input and output source but no UFX.

I assume the installation was done correctly otherwise I wouldn't see the interface at all in my sound preferences.

Has anybody experienced this type of behavior. Any additional step that I might have missed?

Thanks for any responses.

Does the UFX show up in System preferences/Sound and Midi/audio setup?

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

124 (edited by deafmute79 2018-08-22 13:57:17)

cyrano wrote:

Does the UFX show up in System preferences/Sound and Midi/audio setup?

Yes, It shows up in system preferences. Didn't check Midi/Audio setup but will do this. I was able to get sound from netfilx through Total Mix and Soundcard.

OK All fixed now. I plugged out and replugged into the left hand side USB C port and it appeared. Not sure if this is it or whether it was just the order in which I switched on everything but it worked.

126 (edited by faru 2018-10-29 13:11:52)

Hi all,
I have a fireface 800 with firewire and since the last update a couple of weeks ago the host LED stays red and the soundcard is not recognized. I tried every possible solution mentioned here and even made a clean install of high sierra. the popup where I have to allow the driver never pops up. system protection was disabled in recovery mode terminal, but still now luck. unfortunately running out of options. the rme support couldnt help either. its really frustrating and I cant use my soundcard for weeks now sad hopefully someone has a solution here.
also the soundcard works without a problem in windows...

It turned out, that it was the firewire 400 port on the fireface who stopped working. I used another cable for the firewire 800 port and its working again now. bit of dissapointing journey, as this was my first guess, but the RME support said it must be a software problem, which is why I installed 3 different versions of MacOS to try it out.

Hi there,

I have a FireFace UCX with an iMac 27" 2017 - 10.12.6 OSX
After I installed the driver, the Fireface USB Setting is working, but the Total mix is not. Just jumping jumping on the dock....
After about 10 minutes the totalmix window starts with a big gray color and the iMac is freezing and after that the iMac is shuting down.

I tried the UCX with an old 13" C2Duo macbook pro with a 10.8.6 Mountain Lion. It works well.
On iMac I usually using Fireface800, and on the last week I used an ADI2Pro. They worked perfectly. Of course I disconnected the Fireface800 and Adi2pro.

Any Idea ?

ProTools? This start-up delay is found in this forum and caused by MIDI ports being not accessible. Ports that TM FX checks on start-up. But we added workarounds for that so I assume you are not using the latest driver 2.22.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I don't know what I suppose to do with protools. :-/ I don't use any kind of MIDI hardwares
I tried with all version of drivers with no succes

Hello, I need some help. I'm new in this forum!

My Fireface UFX and Babyface won't show up on mac mini 2011/i7/ High Sierra

"Allow" showed up only once in security settings and then no more. Pressed "allow" but Total mix won't open. Babyface works fine on mac book pro 2011/High Sierra.

I tried this without success:
https://developer.apple.com/library/arc … ction.html

And tried all installers back to 2.17 with clean re-install. Doesn't work!

Some help is very much appreciated as I have urgend work to to.

Hi there,

I tried everything I found to make this work but I can't get total mix to work on my Mac mini with High Sierra. Anything else I can try? Anything that needs to be resettled? I'm sure it must be a problem with apple security setting but nothing described here in the forum works.

Help appreciated

Best
Gerrit

You're sure both Babyface and UFX are not set to Class Compliant mode?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

You're sure both Babyface and UFX are not set to Class Compliant mode?

yes, both work fine with several other computers. Is it possible that driver/ mixer software for an audient ID22 interface messes things up? That is the one that I usually use with that Mac mini.

Hi MC

I emailed you before. Is there a way to get my babyface pro to work with my macpro 2019 and OSX Catalina? It wont show up in Total Fx and none of the driver updates execute properly.

Thanks in advance

Seth

Thank you this solved issue with my usb!!

I got a Babyface pro and since yesterday it worked fine. When I woke up this morning I tried to open it by my computer didn’t want to recognize it. I uninstall and reinstall the driver, but nothing happened. When I try to open Totalmix the window do not appear. Hope you'll be able to help me.

Please check the USB cable connection on both ends, the right-angle side needs to push into the Babyface port a bit, for security.

If it's lighting up but not recognized, you may have (accidentally?) switched to CC mode for Class Compliant operation. Unplug USB, then hold the SELECT and DIM keys down while you reconnect. The meters will spell either PC for normal mode or CC for Class Compliant.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

138 (edited by takumphd 2020-02-05 15:31:44)

about MAC-mini Catalina 10.16.3 Intel Core i7 32GB

I installed driver Latest driver, version 1.4, 11/2019 for Babyface Pro FS.
Installation finished well, however Babyface name is not listed in Sound-output/input, so can not use Babyface, Please teach how to manage this.  Or This  Latest Catalina need any update?

System report show Babyface Pro (XXXXXXX), ID:0x3fc0 and so on, so I think Mac link to babyface through USB physically...

I have a DigiFace Dante running  10.15.3 (19D76) Mac mini (2018) 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB. Just ran RME USB Series Flash Tool updated to current Revision 36 and now my interface does not show up anywhere in my system. I need a solution to repair, please help!

macOS 10.15.3 Mac mini (2018)
3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 32 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

ok so I ran the driver_usb_mac_318 and it seems to be working again.

macOS 10.15.3 Mac mini (2018)
3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 32 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Hello, I have still trouble. I have the Fireface in the studio but work mostly from home. I can't get the Fireface UFX to run on my Mac Book Pro 2017 (Thunderbolt USB C) Catalina. It works fine on Windows and on my old Mac Book/ High Sierra.

The UFX seems to be be recognized and I was able to see in/ outs in CC Mode. But when I switch back Total Mix doesn't open. It just jumps up and down. The menu is there but no mixer.

Any ideas? I checked everything I found in this forum.

PS: I posted before about another problem with my Mac mini. Still not solved!

System: MacBook Pro 2017, OSX 10.13.6, TotalMix 1.65, FireFace UC

It's a reoccuring issue that the Fireface is not recognised and I get the error message "Mismatch detected - Workspace File contains no data for connected device"
The red HOST Led is off. I reinstalled the drivers three times without any effect. I tried the USB series flash tool but it doesn't start. Cable used is a UCB-C to USB Type-B, no adapter used.

This happens about 1 in 8 times I want to use the interface and it's frustrating to no end to have a time slot to get something done and burn that away (re)installing updates and setting up new workspaces. Now even that doesn't work.

Is there some more information I could give for anyone to help me out here?

You need to flash to the latest state. Which firmare tool did you try?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I tried the latest one available from the RME website. The read me file says "Fireface UC: 126 / 138"

Hello, I buy it RME Fireface UC and I installed the drivers the mac said its succesfull, but I cant´t see the total mixer and the fireface settings can´t get open, nothing works.
macOS Catalina 10.15.5
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014)
Dual-Core Intel Core i5, 2.6 GHz, 8 GB

anybody can help?

Hi,
is Firefface 802 compatible with newest   macOS CATALINA  10.15 ?

here is written only up to 10.9 Maverick  https://www.rme-audio.de/fireface-802.html

Do you expect to suppor Fireface 802 compatibility with newewst macOS for further years as well?

many thanks for confirmation

Sure, if you pull out the brochure when the unit came out first you might even find Mac OS El Capitan...

Why not have a look on the download page and the current drivers?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Sure, if you pull out the brochure when the unit came out first you might even find Mac OS El Capitan...

Why not have a look on the download page and the current drivers?

sorry I did it, but didnt see work "macos xy and up"  , downloaded, driver installed, restarted mac, but in flash tool is still visible only older installed version without any need to update https://prnt.sc/t50chr  - so far I am on Mojave.

Where could be the problem not to be ready to update?
thanks

I don't get it - where exactly is the problem? You have the latest drivers and firmware, no update needed.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

150 (edited by Martin6 2020-08-02 17:12:52)

Nach dem erfolgreichen Bertrieb meines Fireface 400 (Treiber 336) auf macOS 10.15.5 habe ich jetzt versucht mein Fireface UC (neueste Firmware 138) zu installieren (Treiber 319). Es geht da aber gar nichts: Wenn ich unter Programme auf "Fireface USB Settings" oder auf "Total Mix" klicke, öffnet sich nichts. Kann das mit der vorherigen Fireface-Installation zu tun haben? Wie kriege ich das UC ans Laufen? (Das FF UC taucht auch gar nicht unter Audio-Geräte auf. Wenn ich allerdings das Flash-Update-Tool starte, erkennt es das FF UC und sagt Firmware ist aktuell. Die rote Leuchte verschwindet übrigens auch beim Hochfahren des OS, so daß man meinen möchte, es sei alles in Ordnung).

Brauche dringend Hilfe.