Topic: HDSPe MADI PCIe & Mytek 8x192 problem

Hi all

I've replaced an SSL AlphaLink with a Mytek 8x192 and MADI DIO card. Unfortunately the MADI error led is lit on the RME card and in the Hammerfall setup page it's showing I have wordclock sync but not MADI. Everything worked fine with the AlphaLink, and setting up the 8x192 has been (seemingly) very straightforward. I've tried 2 different pairs of optical cables but that didn't resolve the problem. As is, there's no audio getting to the 8x192 from the HDSPe card. Unfortunately I don't have the AlphaLink any more so I'm unable to use that to test/try to pinpoint the problem. TIA for any help, it would be very much appreciated.

Re: HDSPe MADI PCIe & Mytek 8x192 problem

Quick update: the card is passing audio out of its stereo 1/4" jack as it should. The next step would seemingly be to try connecting MADI via the BNC i/o instead of optical.

Did you set the RME card to use optical MADI and the proper
- MADI format: 56 or 64 channels
- MADI frame size: 48 or 96k frames ?

Please detail the MADI settings of both devices, screenshots would be nice.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi Ramses

Thanks for your reply, my apologies for not getting back to you sooner, I was away for the holidays.

The Hammerfall settings are as the image:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7sxrgjdotrm9h … 0.JPG?dl=0

The 8x192 is very simple to setup, there are some dip switches on the rear to select MADI connection via optical (toslink) or coaxial; they are setup to use the optical connection.

I have also tried disconnecting the optical (toslink) and using the coaxial MADI i/o instead, changing the Hammerfall settings accordingly and the dipswitches on the Mytek MADI DIO card accordingly.

I have also tried having both optical and coaxial connected at the same time and setting MADI in to auto, but in the Hammerfall settings the MADI input status just keeps changing between optical and coaxial.

It’s as if there is no MADI communication taking place at all. In the SyncCheck box I have ‘Word Clock Sync’ and ‘MADI No Lock’; the no lock status is constantly refreshing as if it’s looking for a signal.

As far as I can tell, the Mytek 8x192 is setup for 64ch and 48k frame, the manual is very straightforward.

I wish I still had the AlphaLink as it would be so easy to determine whether the problem is with the HDSPe card or the Mytek. In my experience, the HDSPe card and Hammerfall DSP settings are so easy to setup, I’m quite sure it’s not user error on my part; no matter what I try the MADI error led on the HDSPe card remains lit red.

I’m in contact with Thomann and Mytek support but so far they haven’t been able to pinpoint the issue.

Thanks again for any help, it is very much appreciated.

I would set the HDSPe MADI to Clock Internal, then do a simple optical loopback cabling to see if something is detected. Repeat with coaxial. Then ONLY connect the Mytek output to the optical or coaxial input. There must be a signal detected, Lock or Sync. If 1 works but 2 not then the Mytek seems not to send MADI at all.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

I would set the HDSPe MADI to Clock Internal, then do a simple optical loopback cabling to see if something is detected. Repeat with coaxial. Then ONLY connect the Mytek output to the optical or coaxial input. There must be a signal detected, Lock or Sync. If 1 works but 2 not then the Mytek seems not to send MADI at all.

Thank you for your input Matthias, it is very much appreciated. I completely understand what you are suggesting in terms of troubleshooting and I will do as you say asap tomorrow.

MC wrote:

The loopback works, thank you very much Matthias. MADI light on the card lights up green as it should. It proves the problem is not with the RME card, does it not?

Thank you again Matthias.

That seems to be the case.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME