Topic: BFP with the Radial ProRMP through headphone out

Hi guys

A newbie question I can't get an answer for..

I just got into the world of reamping your guitar tracks. I got the Baby Face Pro and using Logic as my main DAW and I have a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.
Since the amp is "so damn loud" (qouted by one of my neighbors) I cannot track guitars at night and that's why I find that reamping can be very beneficial to my needs.

My question is very simple, I want to connect my BFP to a Radial ProRMP box I plan on buying soon, but I want to connect it via the headphone output so I won't have to disconnect my monitor each time I wanna reamp but the ProRMP has an XLR input.

Is it possible? Are there any benefits of using the main outs instead of the headphone out? What cable do I need to get and what should I do routing wise?

Thanks in advance!

Re: BFP with the Radial ProRMP through headphone out

Hello!

The Radial, as every re-amping box, is used to turn a MONO line-level balanced signal to an un-balanced instrument-line level signal, suitable for connecting it to a guitar amp.
The BF Pro's Headphones Out is a Stereo Output, and as such, you cannot connect it to the Radial. You need to use one of the XLR Outs of your BF Pro.

But if you don't want to disconnect your monitor every time, you can use the Headphones Out with a TRS(stereo) to two TS(mono) cable, to connect your monitors with the cost of loosing the balanced connection. This is the inexpensive solution.
Routing, in this scenario, would be:
BF Pro XLR Out1(or 2) -> Radial -> Amp -> Mic -> BF Pro XLR Input 1(or 2) -> DAW

Or you can buy an external D/A Converter, connect it using your BF Pro Optical Out(SPDIF or ADAT) and route the signal through one of its outputs to the Radial. For example you can buy the Behringer ADA8200(A/D and D/A 44/48KHz only).
Routing in this scenario, would be:
BF Pro ADAT Out1 -> Behringer XLR Out1 -> Radial -> Amp -> Mic -> BF Pro XLR Input 1(or 2) - DAW.
This way you can keep your monitors connected to the BF Pro, and keep the balanced connections throughout your signal chain.

Hope this helps!

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

First of all thanks for the kind and informative answer, it made things much clearer now!

I guess that disconnecting the monitor cable every once in a while wont be the end of the world tongue

Is it possible to use a TRS to two male XLR's and just hook one of them to the reamp box?

Thanks again for all the info!

4 (edited by crille 2019-12-15 22:49:01)

Hello,

Connecting your BFP's headphone output to a reamp box should work perfect. You just need the right cable.

A reamp box is also not super necessary. I have tried connecting BFP's headphone output directly to my guitar amp with a standard guitar cable and it works. However, I prefer using my Palmer Daccapo for reamping.
(By the way, I can recommend it. I didn't like how Radial color the sound. But I guess it's a matter of taste.)

I normally connect BFP's XLR outputs to Palmer with a short mic cable. But I have also tried connecting headphone output to the Palmer box, by using this cable that I modified:
https://www.gear4music.com/G4M/Klotz-Mi … k-06m/2WVR
I'm sorry that I don't remember but I think I soldered one of the tips to sleeve/ground (on the 1/4'' jack). It's very easy. Without modifying this type of cable (for this purpose) you get a weak signal.

There are mono 1/4'' jack to XLR male though, which don't need modification - maybe someone here can confirm that they work as well.

5 (edited by MetalHeadKeys 2019-12-16 01:09:11)

syanay wrote:

First of all thanks for the kind and informative answer, it made things much clearer now!

I guess that disconnecting the monitor cable every once in a while wont be the end of the world tongue

Is it possible to use a TRS to two male XLR's and just hook one of them to the reamp box?

Thanks again for all the info!

You 're welcome!!

Regarding your question, you can connect it using TRS to two male XLRs, but the signal would then become too noisy, and thus unusable! So you will need the BF Pro's XLR Out.
Also, the re-amping box is used for impedance matching as well, so that you won't overload your guitar amp's Input.

@crille

Hi!

I didn't imply, that it won't work. It won't work as intended, though! There will be an impedance mismatch, that usually results in the signal loosing definition in the upper frequency range, sounding dull etc.

Here is a short article describing why a re-amp box is needed:

https://www.diyrecordingequipment.com/b … -reamp-box

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632