Topic: Please make a PCIe replacement for old famous Audiophile 2496!

Hello,
I am an owner of a simple and cheap home studio and I wish to share my problem with your company: I bought a new PC, but my old trustworthy Audiophile 2496 low-latency sound card doesn't work with it because it needs a PCI slot. I wanted to buy a similar simple low-latency sound card for the new PCIe slot, but low-latency sound cards are not manufactured any more! All companies like ESI and M-Audio stopped manufacturing simple low-latency cards and started manufacturing high-latency USB audio interfaces. Your company still produce low-latency sound cards, buy they have a lot of features that are not necessary in a simple home studio. Home musicians like me are not interested to pay extra $500 or more for multiple unnecessary features. We need one stereo in/out and one MIDI in/out. That's all! A lot of home musicians experience the same problem: they need a 'simple' low-latency card for modern computers with PCIe interface. More than that, a lot of conventional audiophiles need such simple cards: they don't like that external box that requires a special place to put it on. You could make good money if you would fill this empty niche on the audio market. Every owner of old trustworthy Audiophile 2496 or Juli@ who upgrades his old computer will buy your card if it will be as simple and straightforward as his old card. We don't need built-in mic inputs or guitar inputs because we already own all that kind of hardware. We don't need a lot of inputs and outputs. We need a SIMPLE and reliable low-latency card. Look at internet forums: a lot of musicians are looking for a low-latency sound card and cannot find it because modern USB sound interfaces have enormous latencies. That foolish USB interfaces include a "direct monitoring" button to hear myself during the recording. But my old card allowed me to hear myself via all necessary VST effects and I enjoyed the sound. Now I hear the dry guitar sound and I don't hear the "distortion" effect during recording. As a result I record a crap! When I try to monitor my guitar with all effect plug-ins, I hear the sound with a noticeable delay, as if someone else playing the same melody 50 meters far from me. In fact I hear two sounds: first I hear the sound directly from my guitar, and then I hear a processed sound like a distorted echo. I become mad of that sound! I already bought a new PC, but I still use the old one because my old card works with it. I wish someone could hear my cry)))) I am near to buy a Mac mini because it includes a built-in low-latency sound card.

2 (edited by ramses 2019-12-13 23:13:49)

Re: Please make a PCIe replacement for old famous Audiophile 2496!

This are RTLs for different RME solutions as reported from the ASIO driver to the DAW (i.e. Cubase):

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.php/Attachment/2343-UFX-UFX-RayDAT-Latencies-v2-jpg/

RME USB recording interfaces are on par with PCI/PCIe solutions.

Sorry but quality has its price. Maybe you can get something from the used market.

BTW what is your max budget ?

I do not think that RME will strip down their products to sell them cheap, its a different market segment.

So if you want / need a card, then pls tell your requirements, then you can get a recommendation from this forum.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I did not say that you should sell your products cheap. I understand that your products like HDSPe MADI FX include a lot of high-quality features that cost money. But I don“t need all that optical features, 194 inputs/outputs and a lot of other things. That is why I offered you to produce a simple low-latency sound card with minimal set of necessary features.

If someone could recommend me a suitable replacement to my old Audiophile 2496 (which is not already supported by modern computers), I should be very obliged. These are my requirements:
1) 1 analogue stereo Input/Output
2) 1 MIDI Input
3) RTL of 2..2.5 ms
4) Sampling rate of 96 kHz or higher
5) Compatibility with modern computers without PCI slot.
5) Budget up to $200-$250 (the price of my Audiophile 2496 was $150)

Sorry, but you do not seem to know the difference between a recording interface of $200 and a RME recording interface.
At that price you can't build recording interfaces with FPGAs, no 3rd party I/O chips, TotalMix FX, around 18y driver support.

This card would fit your demands and can be expanded with additional analog I/O boards if required.

https://www.rme-audio.de/hdspe-aio.html
https://www.thomann.de/de/rme_hdspe_aio.htm €579

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you for your response.  HDSPe AIO includes a lot of high-quality features that I will never need: ADAT, SPDIF, AES, EBU, phones output, etc. I've just found an ESI product that perfectly fits my needs and my budget, but unfortunately it is not manufactured any more: https://www.esi-audio.com/products/juliaxte/ ESI has replaced this excellent product by a newer one with a mad delay of 10 ms. If you could make something like ESI Juli@ Xte (in the same price range) you would kill all manufacturers of those USB audio interfaces that are cursed by all home musicians like me.

6 (edited by ramses 2019-12-14 22:00:47)

> in the same price range

Then it would also be a relatively weak card that you do not like. One with compromises... bad RTL, etc.

You want consumer prices, then you need to get a consumer card with typical compromises.

RME products are products for professionals and people who simply like this quality.
These customers are willed to pay the extra cost.

And tbh .. on the long run you save money:
- you do not need to change your gear so often
- RME cards have a much longer lifetime in terms of drivers and support
- everything is much better

And ... you have the quality from the beginning, this makes more fun compared to working with cheap products.

Thank you for the explanation. I understand the policy of your company and respect it.

8 (edited by ramses 2019-12-15 06:57:24)

I am end customer like you. Its simply experience and observation of market.

And because RME devices have implemented everything in FPGA and can be upgraded throughout their long lifetime
the used market prices are also higher compared to other consumer products.

Example, people who bought i.e. a Fireface 400 shortly after around ~2000
- have still driver support up to Win10
- thus have the latest TotalMix FX mixer software
- thus can make use of latest features like TotalMix FX remote
- thus can use the remote controller ARC USB, which simply requires a recording interface supporting TotalMix FX

Especially from the last point all customers benefit, who initially bought a recording interface back to 2001.
where the interface was not desgined for Remote Controller.
Now with the new design you connect the ARC USB to the PC and TotalMix FX does the interfacing between
ARC USB and the recording interface.

So over the lifetime you get as customer sometimes unplanned benefits.

And this is very unique in the market, that
a) you get such new features
b) without any additional cost

On top you get Audio Analysis Software DIGIcheck for free which would otherwise also cost some additional money.

This all makes the difference.