Topic: Using Mackie Control AND MIDI CC at the same time (TotalMix)

I'm using a Behringer X-Touch to control two UFXs.

The one thing that is awkward about it for me is the way it selects Submixes (third row Hardware Outputs). I'm dealing with a lot of outputs and the way the Behringer selects them is cumbersome (using each track's record enable).

I saw in the manual that CC can be used to select Submix Outputs (Via MIDI channel 13 and 14).

I purchased an X-Touch Mini and set all the buttons to select all of my submixes/outputs. I can get this to work, but it doesn't really work in conjunction with the X-Touch. The X-Touch doesn't "move" with the selection of a different output. Instead, the brown set of eight "selected" tracks stays on the output that is selected via the X-Touch.

For example: if I select Main Output on the X-Touch, then select a headphone mix via the X-Touch Mini, TotalMix will respond, but the X-Touch is still only reflecting the Main output mix.

My Midi settings are set so that the X-Touch (Plugged in via MIDI directly to one of the UFX) is using Protocol as one Remote Controller and the X-Touch Mini as another controller (Plugged in via USB) with no Protocol selections.

Do I need to do something with making one or the other an Extender?

What about Aux MIDI Device?

Am I missing something else?

Re: Using Mackie Control AND MIDI CC at the same time (TotalMix)

Anybody have any thoughts on more CC submix selection while using Mackie Control for everything else?

Could this be a bug? If selecting a Submix with your mouse sends that selection to an MC controller like X-touch, then shouldn't selecting a Submix with a CC also send that selection to the same MC controller?

From doing a lot of random combinations of MIDI In/Out settings so far I've gotten it to the following states:

1.)
MIDI IN: X Touch
MIDI OUT: X Touch
= X Touch works as normal

2.)
MIDI IN: X Touch MINI
MIDI OUT: X Touch
= Can select output tracks and faders will change on X-Touch, but no change on X-Touch is read by Totalmix

3.)
Remote Controller Select1: MIDI I/O X Touch
Remote Controller Select2: MIDI I/O X Touch MINI
= Mini will select output but does not change internally selected output for X Touch.

#2 seems to be closest. If I can just get the X-Touch to send data to Totalmix with this state, then I will be set!

SOLVED:

Set up two remote controllers in the MIDI tab of Settings:

Remote 1 with MIDI I/O = MINI
Remote 2 with MIDI I/O = X Touch

The reason why this seemed to not work is that if close the window, or even X it to the system tray, TotalMix stops responding to CC. If you leave it minimized or up on the screen, then it will still work. Watch out for this variable.

Perhaps this is something that can be addressed in the next version of TotalMix? Allowing CC messages to run while Totalmix is in the system tray state?

Here are links to the CC commands (Some might be totally accurate to your specific device, but should be close):

http://rmouneyres.free.fr/puredata/MIDI … talMix.pdf

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ … edit#gid=0

Menu Options, Settings -    Disable MIDI in Background

is set to what?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Good thought, but disable MIDI in background is not checked in either MIDI device tab.