1 (edited by hornedrum 2019-12-18 17:21:39)

Topic: Help!

I have a dual partition, one running Mavericks and one on High Sierra.
I run Pro Tools 10.3.10 through the Fireface UC in Mavericks.

Thought I'd be smart and flash the firmware on the UC from 112 to 126. This would't work in Mavericks, so I did it in the other partition with High Sierra (stupidly-if the flash program didn't let me do it in Mavericks I should have walked away!).

Now when I boot into Mavericks my Mac Pro (5.1) hard reboots within seconds of booting ProTools.

So...

Is the newest flash 126 not backwards compatible with older OS's?
Can I flash it back to 112?

I know it's the FFUC that's the problem, as when I switch it off and boot ProTools running off the 'built in output' everything is fine.
I also upgraded the UC drivers in High Sierra too, but surely that only updates software on that specific partition?

Re: Help!

Hello!

It might be a Pro-Tools "thing". I have no experience with ProTools on a Mac, but on Windows you can press and hold "N" right after double-clicking the PT icon, so that the audio engine preferences dialog appears, and configure the buffer setting so that it is the same as on the Fireface settings. And in the system I sometimes work on, it goes up to a 1024 buffer setting.

My reasoning for this is, that after the flash update you performed, your FF UC was reset, but PT had your previous setup's settings stored, and thus resulting on a crash and reboot.

Hope this might be of some help!

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

Thanks MetalHead.
RME are the best: You can downgrade the firmware, so I just managed to find and old installer for an older firmware version and I am back to normal again.
It wasn't easy to find though, might be a plan to organise older updates for users.

Anyway, all good now, thanks again.

Cheers

Ahh! You're welcome!
Glad that you 've solved it!

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

For the record, this is not a known issue... It's possible that the unit went back to Windows mode after the update, though (see manual page 10).

Regards
D. Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks Tech Support, I'll check that out and report back, it never even occurred to me!
Cheers