Topic: totalmix best mono/stereo default settings

Hi all

I'm searching for the 'best' or simply the most used mono/stereo settings in totalmix.
The question is about my software playback & main out settings.
What is the 'most basic' setting that people use for RME software playback with a DAW?

Is it best to activate stereo in software playback A/N 1/2/, or keep AN1 & AN2 in mono and do i hard- pan them left and right?
Maybe i keep software playback AN1 & AN2 in mono but no hard-pan?

I'm aware that everybody has different settings and there is no such thing as 'best setting', i am trying to refer to the most basic settings from DAW to my monitors.

Floyd

buy the ticket take the ride..

Re: totalmix best mono/stereo default settings

Hello,

these settings do not affect audio quality at all, they are entirely a matter of personal use and preference, whether or not you wish to treat channels as mono for monitoring/routing or not.

If you keep channels in mono without hard-panning, this will in fact adversely affect stereo audio signals - not something you'd want to do.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi Daniel

Thank you for the clarification.
Realizing that these are super basic questions, is there a difference between stereo and mono panned hard L/R?

Floyd

AFAIR for best compatibility / support of ASIO direct monitoring (ADR) it's best to choose mono inputs and stereo outputs.

It has been explained on RME forum a while ago.

TM FX has a reset mixer option for ADM.
Maybe you want this as a starting point.

The panning in a mix you will usually perform in the DAW (not talking about life mixing). In TM FX you will usually create your monitor / phones submix without any panning taking place on the outputs. Maybe for some inputs if you are recording with some ppl and you want to hear the just recorded stuff with near zero latency in your phones submix without audio being routed through DAW and back.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

AFAIR for best compatibility / support of ASIO direct monitoring (ADR) it's best to choose mono inputs and stereo outputs.

It has been explained on RME forum a while ago.

TM FX has a reset mixer option for ADM.
Maybe you want this as a starting point.

The panning in a mix you will usually perform in the DAW (not talking about life mixing). In TM FX you will usually create your monitor / phones submix without any panning taking place on the outputs. Maybe for some inputs if you are recording with some ppl and you want to hear the just recorded stuff with near zero latency in your phones submix without audio being routed through DAW and back.

Ramses taking me to the deep again, thank you.
forgive me i don't know at the moment what ADM means.

As in Asio, i am using it, although i'm still confused about which one to select in my daw, ASIO MADIface USB or ASIO4ALL v2.
I have it set on ASIO MADIface USB and that seems to work. (although i'm not using madi, always confusing that part)

back to the stereo/ mono subject, i have it set on stereo, before i had it on mono hard pan, stereo seems to work great for me.

Totalmix can be a bit overwhelming but for sure it really whips the llama's ass!