Topic: Original Babyface with Catalina, serious problems

Problem description:
My previous laptop died and I recovered the system from a TimeMachine backup - unfortunately, the new machine had Catalina installed instead of Mojave and I realized it after the recovery was complete.

While plugging in my original RME Babyface, TotalMix didn't recognize the interface and Fireface USB settings showed the sample rate as 33100. I had to manually start the apps when previously they would open automatically when plugging the interface. I then realized that it must be a permissions issue and sure enough I had the allow the drivers in Security & Privacy.

I rebooted the laptop but since then:
- Fireface USB settings fails to launch - the icon flashes but nothing happens
- TotalMix fails to recognize the interface
- The interface is recognized by OS X as a standalone device
- I reinstalled the latest driver (3183) but it didn't help.
- I deleted all the installed files and reinstalled them. Still the same.
- The Babyface is not in class-compliant mode.

Two other weird things:
- The USB flash tool fails to open too. I get the "not trusted" prompt, click "open" but it does not proceed.
- The same behavior happens now also on my spare laptop running Mojave. All the above symptoms are now also on that backup laptop, nothing helps.

So, I've pretty much tried all I can think of. Any help?

Model Identifier:    MacBookPro14,3
  Processor Name:    Quad-Core Intel Core i7
  Processor Speed:    3,1 GHz
  Catalina: 10.15.2 (19C57)

Re: Original Babyface with Catalina, serious problems

You use Mac USB driver 3.18_3?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by vx600 2019-12-22 16:31:53)

Re: Original Babyface with Catalina, serious problems

You use Mac USB driver 3.18_3?

"- I reinstalled the latest driver (3183) but it didn't help."

Yes. Using the files from:
https://www.rme-usa.com/downloads.html? … c_3183.zip

The weirdest thing is that Fireface USB Settings fails to launch altogether. Same with the USB Flash Tool (but I guess it has to do with Notarization).

I'm really clueless. Did another "delete everything, reboot, reinstall, reboot" loop but nothing.
I did start using this machine a week ago but today was the first time I had the time to plug-in the interface. And check the Security & privacy settings.

EDIT: For what ever reason, the Babyface is now working. I wish I could tell what fixed it but I can't... I do hope this does not happen again, just spent good 4 hrs troubleshooting instead of making music sad