Topic: Extending UCX

Hi there, new to the forum.

I have a Fireface UCX and I want to extend inputs / outputs for live recording of a full band and multiple headphone mixes. I need more balanced mic inputs, and outputs I can route through headphone amps.

What's the right bit of kit to do this? Can I do this using say a ADI - 8DS?

If so, will I see the extra inputs and outputs on Totalmix and be able to still route them from there. I think Totalmix is very good.

My DAW is Logic Pro X and of course I'm hoping all the extra inputs will effortlessly appear there too.

I'm a bit of a beginner at this so apologies for lack sophistication!

Nick

UFX+
iMac17,Quad-Core Intel Core i7 4 GHz 32GB RAM
Logic Pro X

2 (edited by ramses 2019-12-24 13:26:10)

Re: Extending UCX

RME ADI 8 has no Mic inputs, you would require a Mic preamp with (usually) balanced outputs.

If you have no separate mic preamp (what I assume), then its better to use one of these Mic preamp:
https://www.thomann.de/de/rme_octamic_ii.htm
https://www.thomann.de/de/rme_octamic_xtc.htm

The XTC has the special ability to be integrated into TotalMix FX like a channel strip, so that you can remote control most of its functions from the TM FX instance of the UC (Gain, Pain, Phantom Power, etc) and save the settings even digitally in the TotalMix FX snapshots, thats very comfortably.
An additional features of the XTC are:
- it can be connected via MADI if you would extend your solution at any later point with a MADI capable recording interface, which allows up to 8 devices à 8 channels at 44.1/48 kHz
- if you connect if later via MADI, then you do not MIDI cabling anymore for remote controlling the device as AUX device, because then you can do this via RME's MIDI over MADI feature
- the device can also act as format converter between Analog / AES / ADAT / MADI
- the device is class compliant so that you can connect it directly as interface to PC, MAC and also an iPhone
- if provides you 2 separate good quality phones outputs and routing capability at the device to decide what you want to hear on the phones output
- if offers to you 4 AES inputs and outputs via a special breakout cable that needs to be ordered separately and is available in different length. Also very useful if you want to intrgrate other devices later and if you run out of ADAT channels. Like i.e. for the integration of an ADI-2 Pro FS or whatever in that range

The Octamic XTC would directly give to you a lot of features and is phantastically integrated into TM FX as AUX device.
You would have two phones outputs which of course can also be used to connect other phones preamps with multiple channels.

EDIT: also it has useful option like PAD for the 1st four Mic inputs and the last 4 Mic inputs can also be used as Instr inputs.
All the 8 Mic inputs can also be used as line inputs.
The 2 phones outputs can also be used simply as 4 unbalanced line outputs.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

What a comprehensive reply! I shall look into this, thanks very much.

UFX+
Logic Pro X

You're welcome wink

See also a blog article that I wrote: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … Cber-MADI/

I am also using a MADI setup: UFX+ and XTC.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Even better! The XTC certainly looks like the one.

UFX+
Logic Pro X