1 (edited by Lemmeling 2019-12-30 09:43:01)

Topic: Downgrading firmware to version 1.01 possible for the BabyFace Pro?

Hi,

I have a Babyface Pro that resides inside my digital church organ.
This organ is actually a midi-console with midi keyboards and pedals connected (via the Babyface Pro) to a PC with the software Hauptwerk installed on it.
I only use the midi connection and the audio outputs of the Babyface Pro. No inputs are necessary in this setup.

Last week I decided to upgrade the firmware of my Babyface Pro.
The old firmware was version 1.01 and so I upgraded to 1.25.

The upgrade itself went fine without errors and I shut down the Babyface Pro for a couple of minutes as instructed in the readme.txt file.

However since the firmware update I'm experiencing a weird problem that I didn't have before.
Whenever I want to load a sampleset of an organ into Hauptwerk, when loading is finished and the sampleset is initialising, the cpu meter inside the Hauptwerk software goes completely into red for a couple of seconds even when I'm not playing at all...

Also, when playing an organ with lots of stops (registers) activated, the cpu goes into red and cracking sounds are heard.

Since everything worked before I'm not planning on changing anything in buffersize etc. The cpu was rarely if at all into red.

I suspect the firmware update being the cause of my problems.
My question to you is, is it possible to lower the Babyface Pro firmware again to version 1.01? (downgrade)

If so, could you please provide me a link and instructions on how to do this?
I've have searched your site without success.

I've done everything else: including driver updates, reinstalling Hauptwerk and samplesets, even reinstalling windows and still the problem stays.

My pc-configuration is as follows:

OS: Win 10 x64, build 1607, No internet, no wifi, no antivirus, no firewall, no built in apps, only the programs needed for Hauptwerk
Soundcard: Babyface Pro: latest driver and latest firmware 1.25
Memory: 64 GB
Motherboard: Asus Prime H270M Plus
Processor: Intel I7
Version of Hauptwerk: 5

I hope you can please help me out.
Thanks in advance

Laurens

Re: Downgrading firmware to version 1.01 possible for the BabyFace Pro?

http://www.rme-audio.de/download/fut_usb_win_101.zip

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you.
I will try it out as soon as I'm back home (at work now).
I will let you know the results.

Ok, my findings sofar:

After downgrade to version 1.01 I found that initialising the samplesets still shifts the CPU meter in red in Hauptwerk.
During playing on the organ I found less CPU activity.

This week a friend is coming over who also has a Babyface Pro. I will try to swap them and see what happens.
The search continues...

Cheers,

Laurens

And perhaps also try on a different computer or - if you still have - on a Win7 version. Simply to get some ideas.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

That result was fully expected. The new firmware optimizes SteadyClock, nothing else changed. Something on your computer changed at the time you did the firmware update, and there you have to search.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hello everyone,

First of all thanks for your help in minimizing the possible causes of the problem.
I'm glad to mention that with the help of a Hauptwerk-forum user I found a solution that works for me.
Certain samplesets in Hauptwerk (not all) apparently perform way better if the Hauptwerk software is... simply run .... as administrator :-)
Never heard that before, but I tried it out and... no more red cpu
So I now added the run as admin to the shortcut of Hauptwerk so it always runs in that mode.

Have a great 2020 everyone!

Cheers,

Laurens

8 (edited by ramses 2019-12-31 11:22:39)

> Certain samplesets in Hauptwerk (not all) apparently perform way better if the Hauptwerk software
> is... simply run .... as administrator :-)

Hi Laurens,

congrats, but .. tbh ..  someting like this I regard as bad SW design.
A normal application should be able to work with user privileges.

In a bad case of luck this could compromise the security of your system which is surely connected to internet.

I would open a support ticket for that, maybe the vendor can fix it.

An alternative / workaround may be to use Bitsums "Process Lasso Pro"
and trying to priotize this process a little higher and maybe also its I/O priority.

This approach I would regard as much better in terms of stability and security for a system
compared to giving the application too many rights on a system as the Administrator user can do everything.

The best solution would be if the application would be fixed, therefore better open a ticket.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi Ramses,

I totally agree.
However, in my case, this is no problem at all since this pc is only for my organ.
It is in no way connected to the internet.
But I will report this issue to the makers of Hauptwerk...

In the meantime, I will enjoy again my sampleset to the fullest :-)

Cheers,

Laurens