Topic: Feature Request: Delay Times in ms or even more more precise

Hi,

since the individual outputs cannot be delayed, I planned to use the Delay-FX in Totalmix (with stereo echo, width 1 and feedback 0) to adjust the timing of speaker signals (in my case to correctly time-align a sub to my monitors, but i can also imagine other scenarios where this could be useful).

As far as I can see, only 10 ms steps are possible at the moment, which makes this workaround pointless.

It shouldn't be difficult for RME to provide the option to type in more accurate delay times (e.g. in ms or even more more precise). Is it worth hoping for that feature or do we have to find another solution for this kind of use cases?

best

Daniel

Re: Feature Request: Delay Times in ms or even more more precise

There is an option to 'type in' a value.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by d_r 2019-12-23 10:01:03)

MC wrote:

There is an option to 'type in' a value.

Thanks for your quick answer! You mean by double clicking on the parameter or is there a second way? If I type in a value this way (e.g. 0.001 for 1ms), it gets rounded to 2 decimal places ...

What interface is this?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

What interface is this?

Madiface Pro

The Echo on the MADIface Pro is calculated on the host CPU. As such the smallest delay time is limited by the used ASIO buffer size. Clearly explained in the manual on page 54.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by d_r 2019-12-23 21:13:29)

MC wrote:

The Echo on the MADIface Pro is calculated on the host CPU. As such the smallest delay time is limited by the used ASIO buffer size. Clearly explained in the manual on page 54.

This explains why even with the delay time set to 0 a minimal delay is present. However, my problem is not that this delay is already too long, but that I cannot extend it e.g. by 0.5 ms or 1 ms, because the next higher value above 0 is already 0.01 (10ms). The calculation on the host CPU shouldn't get in the way of a more precise value input option, right?

There are several reasons for such a limitation. But you can adjust the delay in steps of 1 ms by using the reverb instead. Still the base delay is set by the used buffer size.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

There are several reasons for such a limitation. But you can adjust the delay in steps of 1 ms by using the reverb instead. Still the base delay is set by the used buffer size.

Great! Will try this as soon as I’m back in the studio! How would you set up the reverb to generate a pure delay without any fx-sound?

By the way: Merry Christmas!

There you got me - you can't. The closest version would be Small Room with Low Cut 20 Hz, High Cut whatever suits your subwoofer, Room scale to 0.5, Width to 0. Doesn't leave much of the Reverb signal...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

There you got me - you can't. The closest version would be Small Room with Low Cut 20 Hz, High Cut whatever suits your subwoofer, Room scale to 0.5, Width to 0. Doesn't leave much of the Reverb signal...

Ok, thats no option for me, especially since in my case the sub is a little late so the monitors have to get delayed...

So I assume a more precise delay-time input for the delay (or a new reverb algo with just the dry signal delayed by the predelay) is something that won’t come with a totalmix update in the near future?

I think you mentioned a surround monitoring section will come soon, but I guess there won’t be a 2.1-option with individual Delay/eq for the sub/monitor outputs to build a custom crossover?

Delay needs memory (RAM) which usually is not there in the hardware.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Delay needs memory (RAM) which usually is not there in the hardware.

Hi Matthias,

ok, so this would have to use the host cpu again or run on a newer generation of interfaces with RAM, i assume. let me ask you just 2 more questions:

1.) You said there are reasons for such limitations as the Delay-Time input in steps by 0.01 seconds and i believe that. However, wouldn't it be possible to add either a new reverb type that delays the dry signal or even better adding a new delay type as the Stereo Echo, but with an even more precise Delay-Time-Input (e.g. X.XX ms instead of X.XX s)?

2.) You said the smallest Delay-Time is set by the ASIO buffer size. How is that for Mac-users?
Changing the buffer size in a DAW (e.g. Pro Tools) has no influence as far as i can see. Although thats not such a promising workaround, if i could change the minimum delay-time with a global buffer size on the Mac, i could possibly reach a better fitting value between the minimum i get now with Delay-Time 0 and the next step (0.01s, which is already too long)...

best
Daniel