1 (edited by SecretHero 2020-01-02 07:25:29)

Topic: PCIe USB 2.0 card for RME Fireface UFX II USB

Hi Everyone,

I just ordered a  RME Fireface UFX II USB audio interface but I have an old (2010 release) MacPro.
I m looking for a PCIe USB 2.0 card.
There are USB 3.0 cards which are backward compatible with USB 1 & USB 2 but I am worried that It might cause issues. I might be wrong.

So which USB 2 PCIe cards (with chips) that you might suggest?

Thanks in advance!

SH

Re: PCIe USB 2.0 card for RME Fireface UFX II USB

All USB 3 cards are backwards compatible, not only some. Search for this topic (Sonnet) in this forum.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by ramses 2020-01-02 08:57:14)

i.e. this: https://www.sonnettech.com/product/alle … 4port.html

Works also very nicely with UFX+ if USB3 shall be required.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

MC wrote:

All USB 3 cards are backwards compatible, not only some. Search for this topic (Sonnet) in this forum.

Thanks but does it cause any issues with UFX II  if I use the card in USB 2.0 mode?
I ll look into Sonnet cards.
Found one in Amazon :
https://www.amazon.ca/Sonnet-Allegro-4- … amp;sr=8-2

5 (edited by ramses 2020-01-02 20:51:00)

> Thanks but does it cause any issues with UFX II  if I use the card in USB 2.0 mode?

Would MC propose it then to you ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

> Thanks but does it cause any issues with UFX II  if I use the card in USB 2.0 mode?

Would MC propose it then to you ?

Hi Ramses,

I m trying to figure out if I get a USB 3 PCEi card and use it in USB 2 mode with UFX II, if it causes issues.
I dont mind getting a USB 2 only card

Thanks again!

7 (edited by ramses 2020-01-03 09:52:48)

Sorry, but all this has already been answered.

MC told you already that all USB3 cards are fully backward compatible.

And in regards to better directly take an USB3 card ... isn't it obvious why ? PCIe sockets are limited resources in every PC. I would take an USB3 card as proposed, so that the card - from time to time - can also serve other purposes, like backup.

Additional tip: to fully isolate the recording interface behind this controller I would only connect the recording interface to it.

You can also preconnect an USB3 disk to it, but I would keep it turned off, so that nothing can interfere with audio transfers.
If you perform a backup then you will surely not do any recording, then turn on any potential USB backup disk, perform the backup and once the backup has been performed, turn it off again, so that only the recording device is active behind your new USB3 interface.

ramses wrote:

Sorry, but all this has already been answered.

MC told you already that all USB3 cards are fully backward compatible.

And in regards to better directly take an USB3 card ... isn't it obvious why ? PCIe sockets are limited resources in every PC. I would take an USB3 card as proposed, so that the card - from time to time - can also serve other purposes, like backup.

Additional tip: to fully isolate the recording interface behind this controller I would only connect the recording interface to it.

You can also preconnect an USB3 disk to it, but I would keep it turned off, so that nothing can interfere with audio transfers.
If you perform a backup then you will surely not do any recording, then turn on any potential USB backup disk, perform the backup and once the backup has been performed, turn it off again, so that only the recording device is active behind your new USB3 interface.

Thanks for your input ramses!
Its all clear now.