1 (edited by ruselok 2019-12-29 13:48:52)

Topic: crc5/16 err with latest driver 0.9700

Hi everyone.
I have updated the driver to 0.9700 and noticed that USB Diagnosis shows now crc5/16 err.
Tried it with 2 different usb cables and 2 different PCs.
I have no errors with the previous version 0.9685.
Is there any issue with the latest driver? I haven't noticed any artifacts while playing music with the latest driver.
Just curious why USB Diagnosis shows something different comparing to the previous driver version.
https://i.ibb.co/swKgXh9/Untitled.png

Re: crc5/16 err with latest driver 0.9700

And nothing with the previous 0.9685 driver version.
https://i.ibb.co/ScXZSdX/Untitled.png

This is not an error, the name of the counter has been updated / "fixed" from "crc5" to "crc5/16".

On an UFX+ there are even two counters: "crc5/16" and "crc32".

Didn't you wonder already, that the counter is permanently stuck at 16 ? wink

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

This is not an error, the name of the counter has been updated / "fixed" from "crc5" to "crc5/16".

Good to know. Thanks

ramses wrote:

Yep. It was bugging me too big_smile

Oh my God!

I've spent more than 14 hours last two days between reading posts, googling the web, checking drivers/chipsets, got a new USB cable and was getting ready to blast off a post screaming for HELP.... all because I thought there was something wrong. Exactly what OP said: "I have updated the driver to 0.9700 and noticed that USB Diagnosis shows now crc5/16 err." 16 errors!!!

And today it began to dawn on me: maybe there's nothing wrong. Maybe I'm reading this wrong.

And now this post. Well, thank you very much ruselok and ramses (even read your blogs and was going to try to PM you:-))

However... a note to RME. Could you please improve the documentation and clarify what -¦0¦- means and explain what the following line showing 0 crc5/16 means. Ramses, you even asked this same question in one of your posts I found ... but never answered.

Happy 2020 New Year everyone!!!

Thanks for the notification and sorry for the inconvenience that this caused to you. I think I know what happened. Let's wait for more information.

Update: as expected the old string was capped for many years, and the programmer just fixed that. It becomes more clear when knowing that the base string comes from USB 3 operation:

0 crc5/16  0 crc32 err / 0.0 min

The hardware checks for transmission errors called CRC5 and CRC16. These are part of USB 2. CRC 32 only exists with USB 3.

The new Settings dialog string now correctly mentions that it checks CRC5 and CRC 16 in USB 2 operation. The number of errors stands in the front, as before.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

ruselok wrote:
ramses wrote:

Good to know. Thanks

ramses wrote:

Yep. It was bugging me too big_smile

heh thanks for the info, I was wondering as well