1 (edited by facehead 2020-01-02 09:40:33)

Topic: RME driver_usb_win_1168 not allowing windows 10 to boot

Hello EVERYONE

I just bought an RME UCX, using with usb cable.

Since installing the drives my windows 10 machine does not boot, I can only boot the machine via bio’s and when I do this the rme interface works perfectly,  but the machine refuses to boot into windows 10 as normal.

driver_usb_win_1168
hardware revision 48

if i uninstall the RME driver the machine will boot as Normal, so it defiantly seems to be some kid of conflict on boot, seems this conflict might be causing the NVMEe drive system boot volume to be unrecognisable to the board

Ive ben away from windows for many years and only using osx, so I'm a bit unfamiliar with diagnosing these kinds for issues these days, I've uninstalled any other audio drivers on the machine, like realtec etc, and tried all the usb ports on my motherboard, that being a gigabyte B450 PRO WIFI rev 1.

Here is the parts list for my machine.

ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD with Heatsink
Seagate FireCuda 1TB, ST1000LX015
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK32GX4M2B3200C16 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz DDR4
Gigabyte GA-B450 AORUS PRO WIFI Motherboard
ASUS Expedition Radeon RX 570 OC Edition, 8GB
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 Bit OEI

Please let me know if you have any hints for sorting this out, any advice appreciated, and sorry if it's a very basic problem as mentioned I've been away from this os for a long time, and this is my 1st pc build for a long time also.

Re: RME driver_usb_win_1168 not allowing windows 10 to boot

Don't know if you've checked but I would try updating your BIOS.  There have been several updates in the last few months for your board and several fixes/improvements looks like they could impact your problem. No guarantees, but definitely worth a shot.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B4 … rt-dl-bios

BIOS F50:

Update AMD AGESA 1.0.0.4 B
    Improve system boot time
    Improve RAID function compatibility
    Improve PCIe device compatibility

BIOS F49:

Update AGESA 1.0.0.3 ABBA
    Improve Destiny 2 gaming compatibility
    Correction of PCIe Gen4 being disabled when using a 3rd Gen Ryzen (Matisse) CPU due to AGESA change

FireFace800 (D 3.125, fw 2.77) Ryzen9 3950X, 570X Extrm4,  Win10 Prox64 1909, 32Gb DDR4-3600, GTX950

Hey SF_Green

thanks for your reply !!

i have updated to F50 when i built the machine, ive tried so many options in the bios config that seemed like they might impact this issue like disable hd audio etc, nothing changes, even when the ucx is not connected, still get the same issue.

thanks for the suggestion, if you can think of anything else im interested !

thanks again !

facehead wrote:

Hey SF_Green

thanks for your reply !!

i have updated to F50 when i built the machine, ive tried so many options in the bios config that seemed like they might impact this issue like disable hd audio etc, nothing changes, even when the ucx is not connected, still get the same issue.

thanks for the suggestion, if you can think of anything else im interested !

thanks again !

OK, does your computer boot normally if the UCX in not plugged in to the computer?

Have you tried using a different USB port?

Tried a different cable from UCX to computer?

FireFace800 (D 3.125, fw 2.77) Ryzen9 3950X, 570X Extrm4,  Win10 Prox64 1909, 32Gb DDR4-3600, GTX950

5 (edited by facehead 2020-01-02 11:22:23)

Hey @SF_Green

OK, does your computer boot normally if the UCX in not plugged in to the computer?

No, plugged in or not same problem happens, only if i uninstall the drivers it boots normally.

Have you tried using a different USB port?

yes ive tried every post on the board

Tried a different cable from UCX to computer?

yes

thanks again !

That's really strange.
Have you tried using the Windows Event Viewer to see if there are any events related to the UCX when you boot from BIOS?

At what point/screen does it not boot?

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

SF_Green wrote:

That's really strange.
Have you tried using the Windows Event Viewer to see if there are any events related to the UCX when you boot from BIOS?

as mentioned its been a while since ive been on windows .. , just checked event viewer and will need a while to work out how its working, but to start with nothing that looks like RME related, i mean there are a ton or error and warning messages, but no idea what is really going on in here..

sorry

vinark wrote:

i have the bios in fast boot or quick boot mode, currently it just get to the bios boot flash "Aorus" flash screen with the f key bios menu at the bottom, instead of moving to the next stem of the boot process wich in my config is the spinning windows login graphic....

so yeah i dont make it that far, just bios screen, then if i go into bios and force boot to my system NVMe drive, it will then boot into windows normally, but not after a simple power on.

if i do a reset from the os, it will again restart into windows as normal, but if i do a hard or soft shut down, then it will again boot straight into the bios flash and again ill have to enter via bios....

also sometimes during this process, the main system NVMe drive disappears from the boot options in bios, only after a psu power off and reset the drive comes back up.... no matter how many times i reset it will not come back until i do the psu power off...

NIGHTMARE.

thankyou again for your input !

10 (edited by facehead 2020-01-02 12:32:25)

Actually it is mostly only getting to the error screen
"
Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key_
"

after that i do a hard restart, then it boots directly into the Aorus bios screen as mentioned in the last post .... then the process i mentioned in the last post begins...

sorry been all day on this and a bit tired,

so just to make clear

vinark wrote:

the machine boots to

"Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key_
""

Try to search for how to set win 10 to really shut off instead of suspend to disk (as is standard). I suspect a suspend issue between the nvme and rme driver.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

The driver is not loaded when the hardware is not connected. IMHO the RME driver has nothing to do with any of this.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The driver is not loaded when the hardware is not connected. IMHO the RME driver has nothing to do with any of this.

Hey MC

thanks for your message i will go more thoroughly over the system without the drivers installed, but im sure something in the driver installer package has caused the boot failure, ill check over the next days and get back to you.

thanks

14 (edited by facehead 2020-01-03 12:45:31)

Hello everyone,
So i went over the build again, checked all the possible sata and NVMe port conflict possibilities, and everything was actually OK, but swapping the NVMe drive to the other port seems to have fixed the issue, the build has been a bit flaky from the beginning, so im guessing there is some undocumented conflict with the 2nd NVMe port and maybe the pcie x16 slot where my video card is or something ... i dont know , but yeah, defiantly did not throw this boot fail until the rme was installed.

either way it was sorted by altering the machine ... not the rme so thanks to everyone that had a go at advice and hope this might help someone else at some point !!

<3