Topic: Using UFX+ with TB over USB3?

Hi all, I'm looking at putting together a new computer build based around an AMD 3950x and the Asrock Taichi. The motherboard has an option to include a TB3 add in card.

I've previously tried using my UFX+ over TB but ran into issues with random distorted / bit-crushed audio. I had to resign myself to using USB3.

I'm wondering though if TB will show me any real benefits worth the increased cost of the motherboard and the TB3 card?

From what I've seen in benchmarks TB offers a reduction in CPU overhead which in turn allows more software instruments, effects etc to run or the same amount to be run at a lower buffer.

The issue with going with an x570 motherboard is that only a handful have a TB option, if I don't really need TB then I can have more options and at a lower cost.

Are there any users here that have moved to TB and seen performance improvements?

2 (edited by ramses 2020-01-04 18:10:11)

Re: Using UFX+ with TB over USB3?

I am using USB3. Isolated UFX+ behind USB3 card with FL1100 chipset (Sonnet Allegro) and using drivers with more efficient MSI (message signalled interrupts) under load.

More flexible placement of UFX+ / PC by 5m USB3 cable (Lindy, 3x shielded), also fewer costs compared to TB.

RTL difference between UFX+ and TB is low.
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.php/Attachment/2343-UFX-UFX-RayDAT-Latencies-v2-jpg/

Performance is very good with USB3 as well: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … cks-de-en/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks Ramses, I really appreciate the detailed information. I also came across some benchmarks on this GS thread:

https://www.gearspace.com/board/showpos … tcount=531

Seems to reinforce your findings that the difference between TB and USB3 is small, especially at mid to higher buffer settings. I calculated the difference to be around 4% given the results posted.

Given the small difference I'm surprised the UFX+ has the TB option, it must be expensive to add and develop for, unless I'm missing some other benefits?

4 (edited by ramses 2020-01-04 19:45:12)

TB is external PCIe, 2nd options, like USB2/FW400 (UFX).
TB/PCIe is more efficient under load, but maybe not that much.
TB driver supports pitch function.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

Good to know, thanks.

I did prefer the buffer settings on the TB option, it was useful being able to go past 2000 samples.

6 (edited by ramses 2020-01-05 11:56:17)

will_m wrote:
ramses wrote:

Good to know, thanks.

I did prefer the buffer settings on the TB option, it was useful being able to go past 2000 samples.

Are you sure, that you compared USB and TB at the same sample rate ?

ASIO buffersizes double with higher sample rate because more data is being transferred within the same time interval,
thus more (2x / 4x) needs to be buffered at double/quad speed (96/192) kHz):

Min / Max ASIO buffersizes at different sample rates:

USB3 @  48 kHz: min:   32, max: 2048 samples
USB3 @  96 kHz: min:   64, max: 4096 samples
USB3 @192 kHz: min: 128, max: 8192 samples

ramses wrote:
will_m wrote:
ramses wrote:

Good to know, thanks.

Are you sure, that you compared USB and TB at the same sample rate ?

ASIO buffersizes double with higher sample rate because more data is being transferred within the same time interval,
thus more (2x / 4x) needs to be buffered at double/quad speed (96/192) kHz):

Min / Max ASIO buffersizes at different sample rates:

USB3 @  48 kHz: min:   32, max: 2048 samples
USB3 @  96 kHz: min:   64, max: 4096 samples
USB3 @192 kHz: min: 128, max: 8192 samples

It was a while back but I'm pretty sure I was at the same sample rate, all my projects are at 48 kHz as I do video work.