1 (edited by AudioFreq 2020-01-05 06:37:16)

Topic: FireFace UFX +: Loud Spike/Pop sound when Computer is Booted

Hello:

I usually turn on The FireFace UFX plus fist, then the computer.
Most recently, I observed a very loud and uncomfortable Spike/Pop sound when the computer boots up and the UFX indicates a host (Blue light) becomes solid.

Note: I do have a pair of Powered Speakers that will turn on when outputs are detected. However, I have been using these for over a year and this was never an issue until recently. Usually the speakers will turn on when the FireFace turns on.

Any idea what's causing this?

Thanks.

AF

Re: FireFace UFX +: Loud Spike/Pop sound when Computer is Booted

Clock loop as long as the driver isn't loaded?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

UFX+ (UFX II, 802, UFX) have a damping of the switch-on crackling on all outputs, not only phones.
I am not sure whether this could become "damaged" over time, this would be a question that only RME can answer.

To which outputs are your speakers connected ? To analog or digital outputs ?

I would definitively check the settings in TM FX, whether something changed there in terms of reference level (if you are using analog ports) and the output level.

I am not sure, whether stand-alone profiles of the UFX+ need to be checked as well if you turn on the UFX+ before the PC. From the manual its not 100% clear whether stand-alone mode is being entered with USB or Thunderbolt cable plugged, but computer turned off. Or whether the last loaded stand-alone profile is being loaded automatically or whether this needs to be done by the user every time manually.
Would also be a question to RME to clarify how this works and whether it would be worth to check levels (and reference levels) in stand-alone profiles.

Maybe its also worth to check, besides stores levels and reference levels in TM FX (also for normal operation, if computer is turned on), whether the recording interface is always properly initialized by TM FX on startup of the computer:
[x] Always init DSP devices with TotalMix FX settings

Just a few brainstormed ideas, but no idea, what the root-cause is.

Again pls, what monitors, connected to what ports ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

4 (edited by AudioFreq 2020-01-05 18:02:14)

ramses wrote:

What monitors, connected to what ports ?

The Monitors are these: Mackie HR824.
https://img.audiofanzine.com/images/u/p … 24-472.jpg

The Monitors are Connected to 3/4 Analog OutPuts.

MC wrote:

Clock loop as long as the driver isn't loaded?

Can you please elaborate?

Is the unit set to clock Internal/Master? During boot it might be using an external clock. If it is supposed to clock other devices and these are fed back to the UFX+ then you have a clock loop for that time, with sample rate running wild. Just a guess.

@ramses: that is easy to see: if you plug USB and the USB LED is not lit then it is not used (which will be the case if the computer is not turned on). So the unit is in stand-alone mode.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ah ok, thanks ;-)

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13