Topic: Podcast related Q to Matthias!

Hello MC, really enjoyed the Dawbench podcast. At one point you mentioned one thing that you never got the chance to elaborate on. That was the fact that latencies can differ by a few samples between recording passes. I have noticed exatly this and always guessed that it is a device and/or driver thing.

Would you mind elaborate why this is happening and if there is something that can be done about it?
Does this apply to all interfaces and not just RME?

Btw, I am using a HDSPe MADI FX card.

Thanks/Magnus

Re: Podcast related Q to Matthias!

Latencies do not differ by a few samples between recording passes, and I don't think I said so. We might have talked about MADI having a one sample variation when unplugged and plugged back in again. But that would not cause variations between multiple recording takes, so is more theoretical than something to think about. Or that was about old times with MME. There it was indeed normal unless the software supported a synced start of all devices (Samplitude did so, as did our drivers).

So what is your exdact problem with what software used?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Latencies do not differ by a few samples between recording passes, and I don't think I said so. We might have talked about MADI having a one sample variation when unplugged and plugged back in again. But that would not cause variations between multiple recording takes, so is more theoretical than something to think about. Or that was about old times with MME. There it was indeed normal unless the software supported a synced start of all devices (Samplitude did so, as did our drivers).

So what is your exdact problem with what software used?

Hi

You actually said pretty much exactly that, around 58min.
Anyway, when I online bounce stuff in Reaper, there can be a slight variation in where the audio ends up between passes. Far from always, but it happens. And when it happens its just a little bit.

Best/M

I checked around 58 minutes: that remark was in relation to anecdotes of older and other manufacturer's devices, and there was no need to further elaborate on it.

Regarding bouncing: that usually describes a process within the DAW. If you copied data from one track to the other via digital IOs then you might see an offset of one sample. More samples can happen when processing is involved (plugins/FX) where the delay compensation is not working as expected.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

I checked around 58 minutes: that remark was in relation to anecdotes of older and other manufacturer's devices, and there was no need to further elaborate on it.

Regarding bouncing: that usually describes a process within the DAW. If you copied data from one track to the other via digital IOs then you might see an offset of one sample. More samples can happen when processing is involved (plugins/FX) where the delay compensation is not working as expected.

I see, thanks for the info.

Best/M