Topic: Would the Digiface USB work for me?

Hi Everyone
I am sure this is a really supid question, but here goes: Can I use two Presonus D8 (8 ch ADAD out, no adat in, BNC sync in) and a Steinberg UR824 (2xADAT out and in, 2xBNC sync out) connected to a Digiface USB WITHOUT syncing them together via BNC? (the sync out from the UR824 does not play well with the D8:s). I think the answer is no, but I don't really understand how the Digiface USB works (maybe some kind of clocking on the reciving end?), and I was thinking maybe I could get away with this setup while saving up for a UFX-II?
/magnus

Babyface Pro FS, MSI GS66, Studio One

Re: Would the Digiface USB work for me?

The UR824 has ADAT IN ports, it should theoretically be possible, that it gets clock via ADAT from Digiface USB and clocks the Presonus D8 via WC.

If the UR824 allows in terms of routing, then it should be possible that you can route then 2 x 8 audio channels
via ADAT from UR824 to Digiface USB.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you, this gives me hope enough that I will borrow a unit and try!

Hello!

You cannot have them connected without syncing via BNC.
BUT, it's not that the UR824 does not play well with the D8s. It's because BNC connections, need a 75 Ohm termination resistor to work properly.

So, you need to get 2 of these:

https://www.thomann.de/de/pro_snake_bnc … ImRlIn0%3D

and hook them to each of the D8s.

Then, you need to go:

UR824 BNC Out -> (BNC cable 1) -> D8(1) Angle T connector(hooked to BNC In) -> (BNC cable 2) -> D8(2) Angle T connector(hooked to BNC In)
and at the other end of the connector, you need to put this: https://www.thomann.de/de/pro_snake_res … ImRlIn0%3D

All this will take care of the BNC Clocking issues, with the UR824 as Clock Master.

After that there are two options:

1. D8(1) ADAT Out -> UR824 ADAT In(1) and then UR824 ADAT Out(1) -> DigiFace ADAT In(1)
    D8(2) ADAT Out -> UR824 ADAT In(2) and then UR824 ADAT Out(2) -> DigiFace ADAT In(2)
    This way, you set the DigiFace as slave(word clock set to "Optical 1"), but you only have the Headphones Output for monitoring(unless you have a 3rd D/A converter)

2. D8(1) ADAT Out -> DigiFace ADAT In(1) and then DigiFace ADAT Out(1) -> UR824 ADAT In(1)
    D8(2) ADAT Out -> DigiFace ADAT In(2) and then DIgiFace ADAT Out(2) -> UR824 ADAT In(2)
    This way, you set the DigiFace as slave(word clock set to "Optical 1"), and you can use your monitors hooked to the UR824 Analog Outs.

In both situations you would need to keep the UR824 connected and use its mixer for routing, along with TotalMixFX to take care of the routing on the Digiface side of things.

Either way, you need to use the DigiFace ASIO driver, and just keep the UR824 connected for its mixer.
Bear in mind, though, that I don't know if there will be any driver conflicts(I don't think so, but you never know)

Hope this will work out for you!

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

I just saw, Ramses' post after I finished typing!

So yes, if you follow option 2 of my post you could set the DigiFace as Clock Master, as well !

Alright, thank you, I will get the small BNC connectors and try it out (both scenarios), but I don't really understand why I need the T:s or the resistor? I mean, what is the difference between just connecting a 75 ohm BNC cable from sync out 1 to one D8 and another cable from sync out 2 to the other D8? When dusing my previous soundcard (RME UCX) whichever D8 I had connected to adat was synced by just connecting a BNC cable from UCX to D8, no resistor or T coupling involved?

You're welcome!

RME has better clocking technology, so I think it just wasn't noticeable, or even non-existent, with the UCX. But BNC connections require the last device in a chain, to be terminated with a 75 Ohm resistor, for stability. That is why most external AD/DA converters have one built in, by the form of a switch.

Here is an article by Presonus, you could read if you want to know more:

https://www.presonus.com/learn/technica … ronization

BNC connections are explained towards the end of it.

And here is a quote from the same article:

Parallel distribution uses a BNC T-connector attached to the BNC word-clock input of each slaved device. This allows the word-clock signal to be sent to that device and then sent on to another device. A BNC word-clock output on the slaved devices is not used for parallel word-clock distribution. If the last device in the chain does not have a word-clock terminate switch, you will need to attach a BNC terminator plug to the other side of the T-connector. This helps to stabilize the word-clock sync and keep the word-clock signal clean. Both word-clock terminator plugs and BNC T-connectors can be purchased at most recording-supply retailers.

Thanks again for taking the time with me, much appreciated, I did not know where to look for information mainly because I didnt understand the problem.