Topic: Seperate USB3 Card + Interface, or onboard USB?

Hi everyone,

so I'm planing on upgrading to an UFX+ after using my UFX for a few years, and after reading through the differences between USB3 vs Thunderbolt (which is not an option in my Mainboard) i've been wondering:

1. If you have to use USB, would it be a good Idea to use an seperate USB Card for connecting to isolate everything?
2. And if 1. is true, would it be better to connect the interface to the separate USB Card, or connect the interface to the Mainboard, while connecting everything else to the USB Card, just to make sure the additional drivers don't cause any troubles?

Does anyone have experience with that?

Thanks & a (late) happy new Year to everyone!

Kind Regards

Christoph

2 (edited by ramses 2020-01-08 11:41:33)

Re: Seperate USB3 Card + Interface, or onboard USB?

Seems to depend on the mainboard and how many and what type of USB devices you connect.
On my system (Supermicro X10SRi-F) with C612 chipset I could operate two UFX+ and ADI-2 Pro witout issues until I also connected USB Bluetooth and an USB Hub.

I used then an additional USB card with recommended USB chip (see manual) to isolate the recording interface.

See also my post from today: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 61#p149261

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

Seems to depend on the mainboard and how many and what type of USB devices you connect.
On my system (Supermicro X10SRi-F) with C612 chipset I could operate two UFX+ and ADI-2 Pro witout issues until I also connected USB Bluetooth and an USB Hub.

I used then an additional USB card with recommended USB chip (see manual) to isolate the recording interface.

See also my post from today: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 61#p149261

Hi Ramses,

thanks for your answer, and the very interessting link. In fact i've been reading another post of yours earlier this day, leading to my question. :-) Can you answer a few other question?:

1. Do you now use the Sonnet Card, or the Startech card? Would you say the Sonnet card is doing better between those two because of MSI usage?
2. Have you experienced any drawbacks in latency running the UFX over the additional Sonnet card / Driver Layer?
3. Can you tell me about your experience running two UFX+ at once? A while ago I read that this was also possible with the previous UFX, but that you might be limited to 48K. Is this still the case, and how do you control both via TotalMix? this might be good to know for the future!

Thanks for letting me know! I appreciate that!

Kind Regards,

Christoph

Hi
to
1. - the sonnet card as I require the two ports of the startech adapter for backup purposes.
2. - latency depends on the ASIO driver and AD/DA converter not on different flavours of USB3 controllers
3. - didnt use more than 48 kHz, you need to try. With TM FX its always the same, you can not route across cards, the HW is the boundary. But the DAW can access both cards at once and you could route also on DAW level.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13