Topic: Using the new with the old

Hi
I've being using the Fireface UFX for a number of years and have been very happy with its performance. I've built a new computer with Z390 chip set and thunderbolt. I'm looking at the Fireface UFX+ and am wondering if I could use it along side my UFX and take advantage of the Thunderbolt?

Thanks
Bob

Re: Using the new with the old

I'm pretty certain you should be able to.  I would download the UFX+ manual and it will tell you about connecting other units in there.

FireFace800 (D 3.125, fw 2.77) Ryzen9 3950X, 570X Extrm4,  Win10 Prox64 1909, 32Gb DDR4-3600, GTX950

Another question, could I hook up the UFX to the UFX+ via ADT and have it recognize it as an ADDA converter?

I guess what I want to end up with in the end is running my UFX and Presonus DP88 along with the a UFX+ through my Thunderbolt having TotalMix and my DAW see it as one 32 in, 32 out interface. Would be great to know for sure before I invest $3800.00 cdn for a new UFX+

Your DAW will see the UFX+ as a 188 channel interface, unless you have Protools.

You can connect whatever you want to ADAT. But remember, per ADAT port: 8ch @44.1/48, 4 ch@88.2/96kHz, 2ch@192kHz.

A possibly better solution would be to connect e.g. one or two Octamic XTC via MADI and control them remotely via MIDI over MADI as a so-called AUX device via TotalMix FX. This way you integrate the XTC into TM FX like a channel strip.
You can then remote control most of the parameters via TM FX (Gain, Phantom Power, PAD, etc ...) and even save them in TM FX Snapshots and Workspace or in a Workspace Quick Save Slot.

You can also connect the existing devices via ADAT, but then the devices would have to have standalone capabilities and you would have to have the devices accessible via USB to set up routing, this and that.

Personally I would prefer a RME MADI based solution, because it's just the better concept. You just have to take a look inside yourself to see how much of a benefit this would give you. At some point, higher acquisition costs have paid for themselves.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13