Topic: Windows 10 Fireface 400 - Software playbacks go to every right output

When I use my Fireface 400 with Windows 10 the Software Playback channels route as a mono signal (left/right summed) to every single right hand output.

This does not happen when I use it with my 2011 Macbook Pro running Sierra. So I'm pretty certain it's not a hardware issue.

The other bizarre detail is that upon first booting up, the main output also just gets a mono sum to the right channel *but* this goes away if you adjust the stereo width parameter at all. I've tried a reset mix->total reset but that does nothing for the issue.

Here's a gif screencapture of it happening. https://imgur.com/a/KMb3rxH

My windows machine gets firewire from a PCI card. I've tried both the firewire 800 outputs on it (obviously a convert to 400 type cable) with the same results.

I should note that I have used this PC with this interface successfully years ago. It started happening at some point but I wasn't using the other outputs at the time so I just turned the level down and forgot about it and figured maybe it was a bad software version that would end up fixed at some point. The hard drive died eventually and now I'm resetting it up with the intention of using multiple outputs and the issue is persisting even through a fresh Windows installation.

Any help is greatly appreciated, I'm quite baffled.

2 (edited by CV 2020-01-14 20:28:16)

Re: Windows 10 Fireface 400 - Software playbacks go to every right output

Well, it seems to have been fixed by several re-installations of the drivers. I guess Windows is just being Windows and not playing nice at times.

After the first couples reinstalls, the fireface wouldn't even connect (red host light) and showed an error in device manager. After uninstalling the device from the device manager then reinstalling again and rebooting it started working. I've rebooted a couple times and so far so good.

Weird that this happened on my last windows 10 install as well!

This is really crazy. I checked the current driver and TM FX (indeed several versions) but could not reproduce that behaviour. But there was another customer with a similar error, and we suspected the hardware to be faulty. Now in your case this seems not possible as it still worked on a Mac. And now again under Windows...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I agree very bizarre. So far still working well. If it happens again down the line I'll update this thread. If you wanted to add to your notes I could PM you my windows system information dump