Topic: HDSPe AES "No Lock"

Hi everyone,

I'm having no success to have any signal on Sync Check  - even tho i try to change the Clock Source, it always remains on Internal. Sync Check keeps showing "No Lock", no matter what i try.

I've got HDSPe AES to use with Merging's Hapi via AES.
Using the VDC AES DB25-DB25 [TASCAM] 3m cable, and apparently the cable is allright (after several continuity tests on my digital multimeter).

Even tried to do a loopback from AES 1-8 to 9-6, and no signal is found.
Curious thing is that Cubase recognizes ASIO from RME, and TotalMix/Digicheck looks to be working allright with all meters showing some sort of activity.

All latest drives/firmwares are installed aswell.

Windows 10 Pro (Version 10.0.18362 Compilation 18362);
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 4201 Mhz;
Gigabyte Z270X-Gaming 7;
32 GB RAM;
Network Adapters:
Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V;
KillerE2500 Gigabit Ethernet Controller;
GeForce GTX 1060 3GB;
Cubase 9.5.

I've sent the same message to the RME support, waiting for their reply - so any help is much appreciated.

Re: HDSPe AES "No Lock"

We had this too often - your DB-25 cable will have the wrong wiring, guaranteed. Most probably the cable that you use is not swapping I/O pins on both ends, so now output works on output and input works on input.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for the reply Matthias.

Is there a way i can redo the wiring on the cable or should i get a new, specific model?

If i can redo the wiring, how should i do it?

MC wrote:

We had this too often - your DB-25 cable will have the wrong wiring, guaranteed. Most probably the cable that you use is not swapping I/O pins on both ends, so now output works on output and input works on input.

The pinout is in the manual and here:

http://www.alva-audio.de/aes-ebu_kabel/ … o_d-sub25/

That cable works.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

If I read the HAPI manual correctly, the HAPI's D25 is Tascam pinout

Manual, page 14

UD wrote:

ps

disable this is bios if possible - known source of dpc latency issues

7 (edited by UD 2020-01-07 23:41:29)

MC wrote:

The pinout is in the manual and here:

That cable works.

Hi Matthias,

I've to say, i'm still a bit confused afterall.

1 - just came back from a shop that works with pro audio cables only. We did open the cable, and BOTH ends are wired in the scheme showed in HDSPe AES manual (image highlighted in black);

2 - Alda Audio scheme though looks to be different from the one in the manual - it shows that pin1 in one end is connected to pin7 in the other and so forth, so i'm assuming one of the ends should be different, following this scheme? E.g Out 7/8+ that's on pin1 in one end should be at pin7 in the other (image highlighted in red).

https://ibb.co/ySRKQ0g

I'm living in South America now, so it'd be really impractical to order a cable from Alda as it'd take a couple of weeks to arrive, plus shipping/import taxes.
So i really need to rewire the cable i've now, studio is on hold waiting for this AES connection to work. If could please give a more detailed feedback on how to do this, that'd be highly appreciated.

Thanks for the heads up! Not having any troubles with it so far, but good to know where to start if anything happens smile

snoskit wrote:
UD wrote:

ps

disable this is bios if possible - known source of dpc latency issues

UD wrote:
MC wrote:

I've to say, i'm still a bit confused afterall. 1 - just came back from a shop that works with pro audio cables only. We did open the cable, and BOTH ends are wired in the scheme showed in HDSPe AES manual (image highlighted in black);

Wich doesn't make any sense. Just imagine two AES cards and a cable that connects output 1/2 on one card with input 1/2 on the other card. The resulting pinout is the one from the Alva cable.

UD wrote:

2 - Alva Audio scheme though looks to be different from the one in the manual.

It's a cable, not the D-sub of the unit. And the cable has a purpose - to connect two units that have such a D-sub connector. It's called cross-cabling, everywhere.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

10 (edited by ramses 2020-01-08 08:14:18)

The cables need to be crossed otherwise you connect input with input and output with output, this does not work / makes no sense.

Similar in many other areas, like i.e. the networking area, you need to connect sending to receiving ports.
You can connect "DTE" (ie PC or Router) with a DCE device (ie Switch) with a straight network cable.
DCE to DCE and DTE to DTE needs a cross cable.

Same with serial lines, etc.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Never worked with AES before, and i was so focused on other problems that i didn't even think about the wiring being crossed, which of course makes all sense.

Everything's working properly now, thank you all x