1 (edited by cri_s 2019-12-11 18:28:05)

Topic: Latest driver for Hammerfall DSP Multiface ?

Hi, browsed the RME site (legacy drivers) and tried the link in the sticky post (it's broken) but couldn't find any mention of the Multiface (first version, not Multiface II).

I currently run the x64 driver v3.38 from 09/10/2013 and I was wondering if there was any new version. Probably not, but when I run the Hammerfal with a 32 samples buffer size I hear a little crackling sometimes so wondered if there may be a more efficient driver around.

Thank everyone.

-Cris

Re: Latest driver for Hammerfall DSP Multiface ?

I have the same card as you. You didn't mention which OS you are running but under Windows, the current version is 4.29 (4.13 for OSX) which you can find under the first drop-down menu https://archiv.rme-audio.de/en/download … /hdspe.php.

32 samples!!? I can't get below 256 samples without crackles. What OS are you running?

Hi Chumbolito, thank you and happy new year.

It's Windows 10. In order to get the buffer so small, I ensure there's absolutely no heavy process running in the background (shut down network, close any services which periodically may ping home etc). All power management is disabled at BIOS and Windows driver level. Basically I (temporarily) make it into a barebone machine, where beyond the essential OS tasks, the CPU does little more than process audio.

However, keep in mind I don't really run anything heavy - just a comfort reverb for vocalists. I've never tried with anything more CPU taxing, like a software synth.

Hello, please pardon my interruption to this string.  I too am using an original Multiface on 10, I stopped going any further than the 3.08 drivers because I prefer the older GUI.  This driver is supposed to be both 32 and 64 support, how can you tell if the 64 bit driver was actually loaded?  I did a ctrl-alt-del (task manger) to kill a crashed demo and I noticed Hammerfall showed up as 32-bit

Thanks

markanderson987 wrote:

Hello, please pardon my interruption to this string.  I too am using an original Multiface on 10, I stopped going any further than the 3.08 drivers because I prefer the older GUI.  This driver is supposed to be both 32 and 64 support, how can you tell if the 64 bit driver was actually loaded?  I did a ctrl-alt-del (task manger) to kill a crashed demo and I noticed Hammerfall showed up as 32-bit

Thanks

Hi, on Windows 10 at least, you can simply look at task manager. My version of the driver is called "Hammerfall DSP settings" and is 32 bit.

That's not the driver, it is the Settings dialog, and there is no need to have that in 64 bit. The driver is 64 bit automatically when using a 64 bit operating system, no need to worry about that.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

cri_s wrote:

Hi Chumbolito, thank you and happy new year.

It's Windows 10. In order to get the buffer so small, I ensure there's absolutely no heavy process running in the background (shut down network, close any services which periodically may ping home etc). All power management is disabled at BIOS and Windows driver level. Basically I (temporarily) make it into a barebone machine, where beyond the essential OS tasks, the CPU does little more than process audio.

However, keep in mind I don't really run anything heavy - just a comfort reverb for vocalists. I've never tried with anything more CPU taxing, like a software synth.

Old thread now, but it came to my mind yesterday, when setting up a different PC: something I did not mention above is that I disable the "high precision event timer" in Device Manager, and make sure the Nvidia card is set to use GPU  and not CPU (the default setting is "automatic", so it could be that's not necessary). Without that, on my pcs I would get continuous clicks with any buffer lower than 256 samples.

32 samples works perfectly, with Cakewalk reporting a total roundtrip latency of 175 samples/4 ms.

Just gotta love RME, a 20 years old interface working flawlessly with an OS last updated a couple weeks ago. smile