Topic: UFX 2 stuck in CC mode when spdif out is routed to ADI-2 DAC

Hey RME forumers,

I'm troubleshooting the setup of my UFX 2 w/ my ADI-2 DAC.

I've been following this guide to the letter: http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … our-Setup/

Right now, my:
- UFX 2 is connected to my ADI-2 DAC via SPDIF from its ADAT 2 OUT
- UFX 2 is connected to my computer via USB 2.0
- ADI-2 DAC is connected to my computer via USB 2.0

The issue I am facing is that when I boot up the UFX 2 it defaults to Class Compliant mode, and it doesn't allow me to change that from its settings.

Additionally, on my computer I cannot bring up a Totalmix window to set the main outputs to be the ADI-2 DAC... nothing happens in Totalmix when I try, and Totalmix is not recognizing either the UFX2 or the ADI-2 DAC, even though my computer is recognizing both devices.

My objective is to be able to run my UFX 2 and ADI-2 together as one system to take advantage of the ADI-2's DA conversion,  awesome IEM output, freq. vis, remote, etc.

Please advise! I've reinstalled all the drivers several times, restarted my computer several times, and I've been digging through the manuals of both units and searching everything I can imagine on the internet to try and find the path forward.

Kind regards,
echo

Re: UFX 2 stuck in CC mode when spdif out is routed to ADI-2 DAC

The unit is in Class Compliant mode? Check and change in the display, Setup - Interface Mode. This can not be changed as long as a USB connection exists.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Cheers, unplugging the UFX2's USB connection allowed me to disable Class Compliant mode.

I can now monitor my instruments --> UFX2's analog inputs --> ADI-2 DAC via spdif --> monitors.
I can also record into my DAW and listen to it playback through my monitors, but I'm not seeing any activity in Totalmix FX's "Software Playback".

I believe I must assign the main mix of the UFX2 to be "SPDIF", but that's not appearing anywhere as an option, including in the Control Room's "Assign" lists.

Pretty tired here in California, will be back at it in the morning! Thanks for the advice MC, much appreciated. This system sounds GOOD! And so far much easier to integrate into than my experiences with UA-Apollo world; I'm a happy rme-er smile

4 (edited by echoechochoochoo 2020-01-23 08:11:12)

Ah, there was no activity in the UFX2's Software playback as I'd set Ableton's output preferences to be the ADI-2 DAC. With DAW output set to UFX2, I'm seeing the proper activity in Software Playback, but now don't have any sound!

Next step is I believe to route the Main to SPDIF, but SPDIF is still not preseting itself an option in Totalmix FX.

Currently, the ADI-2 DAC is connected to my computer via usb, and UFX2's USB is not connected to anything.

Maybe there's something wrong with the USB connections? I will test more combinations!

Edit: I think the DAW/computer output wants to be the ADI-2 DAC. I'm too tired to mine more clarity here tonight, will return!

5 (edited by ramses 2020-01-23 08:23:32)

Thanks for "using" my blog article wink You have a very nice setup by this.

UFX II and ADI-2 DAC are using the same MADIface driver.
If you have both devices connected via USB, then your DAW can also access the ADI-2 DAC directly via USB.

It could be the case, that the ADI-2 DAC channels appear first or last depending on driver settings, which device will be presented 1st by the driver. This can be changed in the driver settings dialog in the TAB "About" -> "Sort ASIO devices" ... and then try the three different choices in the pull-down menue.

I also keep my ADI-2 Pro connected to the PC in parallel to the UFX+.
Mainly for operational reasons for software updates or to test something in regards to the USB DAC functionality.

You could also disconnect USB on the ADI-2 DAC, then its maybe easier for you.

In terms of routing capabilities and TM FX setup and operation 3 tips
- watch the RME Video tutorials about TM FX to get a very good introduction about the capabilites
   http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … al-Videos/
- read also my step by step primer for setting it up there on tonstudio-forum:
  http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … rnal-equi/
- read the RME manual for your devices .. much useful information therein
  The manuals become updated relatively frequent compared to other vendors, so its a good idea to look for
  new updated versions and do download the latest:
  http://www.archiv.rme-audio.de/download … ufx2_e.pdf
  http://www.archiv.rme-audio.de/download/adi2dac_e.pdf
  Dunno whether you have the newer ADI-2 DAC or not:
  http://www.archiv.rme-audio.de/download/adi2dacr_e.pdf
  Manuals also available in german, simply replace the e.pdf by d.pdf or look it up by using product page on webserver

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

6 (edited by echoechochoochoo 2020-01-23 09:28:41)

hi ramses! Thanks for the reply, and for all of the resources!

Current setup:

UFXII:
- SPDIF going to ADI-2 DAC FS
- USB 2 connection to Macbook pro
- Clock set to INT @ 48k
- Optical 2 Out set to AES/SPDIF

ADI-2 DAC FS:
- XLR line out to monitors
- Clock set to EXT @ 48k

I believe this is all in order, but I'm not finding SPDIF in Totalmix FX... I will for breakfast eat the resources you linked; I am optimistic they contain the treasure I seek!

There is no real need to switch the ADAT output on the UFX II to optical SPDIF.

The UFX II's 2nd ADAT port has the capablility to be set from ADAT to SPDIF protocol.
BUT .. the ADI-2 Pro series of converters has the capability to at least support/understand ADAT protocol
and to pick the 1st two audio channels out of the ADAT stream.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you! I have both a headache, and I believe I have everything online!

I'll soon be looking to optimize the adi-2 dac's controls as detailed in the guide, and maybe there's an ARC in my future smile

For now, it's music time big_smile

Much thanks,
-echo