Topic: RME ADI-2 Pro FS R Black Edition - differences

Hello,

i like to purchase a ADII-2 PRO FS or the FS R Black Edition for mastering purposes.

I have some questions :
The DAC is different but are also the capacitiors/buffer amps different to the PRO FS ?
I find no information about this extra 2,5dB headroom thing in the manual.
What is this exactely ?
Are there any other differences audio wise.
I just like to have the best Interface. Don´t need remote.

Will you ever release a ADI-8 PRO FS ?

greetings

& thanks

Andreas

Re: RME ADI-2 Pro FS R Black Edition - differences

DACs are different, rest is identical.
Which manual did you read? The Pro FS R has its own manual with a chapter about the remote. In that manual +2.5 dB are mentioned several times.

https://www.archiv.rme-audio.de/downloa … ofsr_e.pdf

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks MC for the quick response,

Ok i will go for the FS R then.
But i cannot find any info about that extra 2,5dB in the new manual.

Also i dont get if i have a full scale digital signal and need +15dBU.
I choose +13dBU output and use the digital signal trim (+2dB) to get +15dBU.
So the DA is not at full scale then when there is 6dB headromm right ?
Eventually you do it differently.

many thanks again

Andreas

Eyery PDF viewer has a search function, simply enter '2.5' (or 2,5 in German).

You can choose +19 dBu and set Volume (not Digital Trim, that is for the inputs) to -4 dB. Or as you say +13 with Volume set to +2 dB. But then nearly all your headroom is gone, so +19 dBu -4 dB Vol is the better setting.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for making it impossible to sell my adi 2 pro sad non fs.  used price has skyrocketed to the bottom of the ocean.

6 (edited by ramses 2020-01-26 16:28:15)

It's no time to panic.

The latest HW upgrades (FS clock and the new AKM chip) have had an impact on measurement technology, but not everything that can be measured will have a noticeable effect on the sound quality perceived by the ear.

In addition to the drop in price that you mention, it would have been interesting to know what price you are getting angry about.

I can well imagine that one or the other will be very annoyed when realizing later to have sold the product far below the usual used price.

RME devices are basically the exact opposite of what you are talking about, namely very stable in value. This is due to the fact that the internally built FPGAs do everything including the communication with the computer.
Because of this RME is able to fix everything (which is not pure HW) via firmware upgrades. And RME has been supporting some devices this way for almost 20 years with firmware, drivers and software upgrades.

That's why the devices are so stable in value, that even if you sell older devices, you are getting still good money for it.

If there are any crash prices now, it is certainly due to people who have not yet realized that RME devices are not consumer devices that lose their value much faster, because consumer devices have a much shorter product cycle of maybe 3-5 years, and usually not so much can be fixed by firmware upgrades.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13