Topic: Octamic II + Octamic II + Fireface UCX

Hello,

Sorry if this is a stupid question, asked before or posted in the wrong forum.

I have 2 x Octamic II and one Fireface UCX.

I use the Fireface UCX mainly to send audio from my DAW to my studio monitors and also to have 4 balanced line inputs.

Now I bought several drum machines, synths and other gear, and wanted 16 inputs to my DAW so I added 2 x Octamic II to my setup.

Is there a way to send the 16 channels of both Octamic simultaneously to my DAW?

I know I can connect AES/EBU OUT from 1st Octamic II to AES/EBU IN from second Octamic II.

Then connect ADAT main from 2nd Octamic to the Fireface UCX, but ADAT is only 8 channels right?

If it's not possible to have the 16 channels simultaneously I guess I'll have to plug/unplug the ADAT cable between the UCX and either the 1st or 2nd Octamic depending on where my gear is connected?

What about clocking, anything I should pay attention to?

Can I record 8 channels in 96/192 khz? (not that I would need that very often)

2 (edited by ramses 2020-01-28 08:50:03)

Re: Octamic II + Octamic II + Fireface UCX

ADAT allows for transmission of 8 channels @44.1/48 kHz.

But due to channel multiplexing at higher sample rates you loose channels:
- 4 channels @88.2/96 kHz ("double speed")
- 2 channels @176,4/192 kHz ("quad speed")

AES allows transmission of 2 channels @44.1 - 192 kHz.

For clocking you need one clock master, best the device directly connected to the PC.
If you change the clock in your DAW project settings, then the clock changes on the UCX.
And if this device is the clock master, then the other devices ("clock slaves") learn the clock automatically from it.

The Octamic XTC has no ADAT inputs to receive clock i.e. via ADAT from the UCX, so you need to use word clock
for clocking all three devices.

Alternatively you could also use AES, but then you need to get AES breakout cables, I think easier and
straightforward is to implement word clock.

To be able to use both Octamic II @44.1/48 kHz you could think about upgrading your UCX to an 802 or even better UFX II.
But even then you loose channels on both devices at higher sample rates (>= 88.2 kHz).
The only thing what you could do it to re-cable and connect one Octamic II with 2 ADAT cables.
Then you would have 8ch @88.2/96 kHz with one Octamic II connected.

An alternative would be to switch to
- a recording interface with 2 x 2 ADAT I/O (RayDAT, ...)
- a MADI based system which has 64 channels (per MADI bus), but then you need other devices supporting MADI
- an AVB based system which has more channels and by using the new RME devices, then you need an AVB switch

Please delete your double posting and lets continue in this thresd, thanks:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=30054

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13