1 (edited by behn66 2020-01-23 12:57:01)

Topic: ADI-2 Pro FS R Black Edition Sound quality and Missing iem jack

Dear all,

I already ordered the ADI-2 DAC FS and realized that it does not provide AD conversion. My Dealer is so friendly to change my order to ADI-2 Pro FS R Black Edition If i want to do so.

Kindly ask for some help on this decision as the pro is really more expensive.

As I am not a musician, I just need the adi for HiFi:
- as dac via USB source
- as phone amp for hifimen Ananda
- as preamp to either attach directly main-amp or in future  active monitors like the Geithain rl 906
- partially to use as AD converter so rescue some older stuff and store as wav by e.g using the free tascam hi-res editor or the audiogate4 from Korg.

My question would be if I can expect some audible better sound with the pro version for either rca out or headphones? I do believe no, as the new adi-2 dac is already top notch. But please get me corrected here.

Another item is the missing iem jack on the pro. I am wondering how the pro runs with sensitive in-ears compared to the cheaper adi-2 dac with dedicated iem amp.

I really like the advantage of the pro to more easy compare headphones, as both can be listened simultaneously. It's expected to me that phones will be upgraded over time.
Something where I am fully unclear is the advantage of the balanced headphone capability as described in section 33.7 in the manual. It's adding some better snr, but is it audible? I believe that high-end head phones use already dedicated cabling to left/right capsule, hence using balanced output does not add much gain at home. For long studio distances it might be different. But I like this balanced output capability and if it adds an audible advantage, then why not making use of it.

Of course I could start with the cheaper solution and if ad conversion is really required then order the adi-2 fs in addition.

But as tend to go for "do it once, but correct" I need to understand if I can do anything wrong with the pro (eg missing iem). For now I am opting to go for the premium.

I hope my questions make sense. If not, kindly get me corrected.

Many thanks

Christian

Re: ADI-2 Pro FS R Black Edition Sound quality and Missing iem jack

The ADI-2 Pro does very well with IEMs. The only reason you'd need the lower output on the DAC is with particularly sensitive IEMs like Andromedas.

Good that Luckbad could write something about it, I was not sure about the in-ears.

Apart from that, the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE has clear advantages.

1. if you plan to compare e.g. two headphones quickly in the same quality, then you need two headphone outputs of the same quality, firstly to be able to switch quickly, and secondly to bring the volume to the same level, so that it's a fair comparison (because louder sounds better for our ears).

2. the integrated A/D converter saves you the purchase of the ADI-2 FS, which alone costs €699. In the background, the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE is not that expensive anymore, quite the contrary, as it brings a lot of additional features and I/O ports that might turn out to be very useful later on:

- Routing Functions
- AES I/O
- in addition to the digital TOSLINK input also such an output
- optical and coaxial SPDIF
- built-in SRC (Sample Rate Converter), for example to synchronize a DAT with 48 kHz and then record at any other sample rate

From this point of view the ADI-2 pro FE R BE is a bargain, because some of these functions (routing, SRC, 2nd headphone output) would not be available with a combination of ADI-2 DAC and ADI-2 Pro.

And now that the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE has the new Remote and the new AKM chip installed ...

Congratulations on the decision to consider the Geithain RL906 monitors. The combination of ADI-2 * and RL906 is excellent.

Some recommendations:
- you can order the monitors without the black fixings for the Geithain fork stands.
- you can also ask for a veneer selection if you are not sure and vary between a few veneer variations. I personally like the veneer American cherry stained very much.
- The digital version RL906D is IMHO not required if you use the monitors with external D/A converters, saves some money
- RL906D is practical if you want to operate the monitors directly with i.e a RayDAT full digital card via AES. But then you need an AES splitter, because the RL906D does not provide this feature unlike the bigger Neumann as digital version.

Also very good with the RL906D, you can turn down the volume at the back of the potentiometers so far, that you don't have to buy -20 or -30dB attenuators, so that your ears don't fly away in the close range. In fact I turned down the volume poties completely and its still loud enough for me.

Enjoy your nice new selection !

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

behn66:
Regarding the SQ between DAC and Pro versions: I had both units in my system for approx 3 months. Sound differences are small yet audible and allowing to recognize one unit from another during the blind testing after you know what to look for in the sound. I would not say that ones is clearly better than another, it is more about the individual taste. DAC has more presence, voices and acoustic instruments are a bit clearer and nearer. Pro is more relaxed and balanced with a tad better bass performace.

I decided to keep the Pro although it has the BIG disadvantage of not having a remote control. You mentioned that you also consider an option of using it as a pre for a power amp - think this twice well. For me it was at the end too annoying to bear it, so ADI-2 Pro moved to my secondary PC based system (where I sit at the table with RME) and I bought better DAC/Pre combo with variable XLR output and a remote to my main stereo system.

5 (edited by ramses 2020-01-29 14:17:57)

The new ADI-2 Pro FS "R" BE is slightly different from feature set.

It has the same new DAC chip as the ADI-2 DAC "FS" (this is the updated ADI-2 DAC with new AKM chip)
and it also has the new remote of the ADI-2 DAC FS.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Nice smile.

Although it was definitely said that ADI-2 Pro will never have a remote smile : https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 94#p118594

Good to see a meaningful progress of thinking.