Topic: USB-C and FireFace 400

Hi all,

With the new MBP announcement, it seems that not only is FireWire dead, but that native Thunderbolt is dead as well.  I'm happily using my 2010 MacPro and 2012 MBP- both with native FireWire ports. But at some point I'll have to get new computers.  Will there be a way to take my trusty FF400 into the future?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Re: USB-C and FireFace 400

Who knows?

At present, these machines aren't even fully compatible with Thunderbolt...

It seems Apple is leaving the debugging to the user. Again.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

3 (edited by Idiocratic 2016-11-08 10:28:33)

kingubu wrote:

Will there be a way to take my trusty FF400 into the future?

check my postings, i have the same topic atm.
in short:
thunderbolt 3 port is not compatible to thunderbolt 2 plug.
for thunderbolt 2 there is the thunderbolt 2 to firewire 800 adapter from apple, then firewire 800 to fw400 cable ->fireface 400
there is a brand new thunderbolt 3 to tb2 adapter from apple, but nobody knows if it works with the scenartio above
so using a expresscard with firewire might be the solution (which I choose too), but don´t use expresscard with TI XIO 2200A chipset.
for discussion i recommend search related postings to avoid doublepostings

Idiocratic wrote:

using a expresscard with firewire might be the solution (which I choose too), but don´t use expresscard with TI XIO 2200A chipset.
for discussion i recommend search related postings to avoid doublepostings

How do you use an Expresscard with the new macs?  I haven't seen a slot for that for a decade!

I would use the search feature, but it's almost useless.

For the new Macs Apple expects you to buy the USB-C to TB2 adapter, and then plug the TB2 to FW800 adapter into that one. Then use a FW800 to 400 cable to connect the Fireface 400. You will have to ask Apple if that really works.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

And what about PC ? I have ASUS GENE VIII motherboard without firewire. But I have usb type c. Does it work with RME UCX? Don't want use usb 2.0(

Get a PCIe Firewire card...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

Get a PCIe Firewire card...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks! Will Sonnet Tango fw800/usb 3.0 work properly with RME UCX ? Or Sonnet Allegro fw800 not combo card will work better ?

Hi has anyone had any success with this. Im about to get a new mac but i want to be sure the RME will work.

Did it work for you ? I have the same question.

11 (edited by libtech101 2017-02-22 15:44:52)

Well, I can now confirm that this connection works. MBP late 2016 to Fireface 400.
TB3 (USB C) - TB2 - FW800 - FW400. On top of the new adapters I also purchased to official RME Cardbus power adapter. I tried it with a different one first and it would not work.
Costs are: TB2 - TB3 adapter 35€ | TB - FW800 adapter 35€ | FW400-FW800 adapter 20€ | RME power adapter 38€
Total: 128€
Obviously I am glad I can continue to use my FF400 as it works just fine. Customer support wise I would have wished for a more "active" role of RME here. To simply sit back and state the obvious ("theoretically it should work" , "ask Apple" and ""our drivers work, any issues are the responsibility of Apple") is not good enough for a company of such reputation IMHO.

FW800 to 400 is not an 'adapter', but a simple cable with the matching connectors.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

13 (edited by libtech101 2017-02-23 09:13:56)

MC wrote:

FW800 to 400 is not an 'adapter', but a simple cable with the matching connectors.

Well, in my case it is an adapter since I originally bought a FW400 cable. Of course now you can buy a simple FW400-FW800 cable. But that's not really the point here, isn't it?

A fw800 to 400 cable is more reliable then an adapter, less contacts to go dirty/bad.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

libtech101 wrote:
MC wrote:

Well, in my case it is an adapter since I originally bought a FW400 cable. Of course now you can buy a simple FW400-FW800 cable. But that's not really the point here, isn't it?

The point is that it's just a cable, no electronics.

The TB2 to FW adapter and the USB-C adapter both contain a complete computer and need power to function.

While you can almost endlessly connect cables together, you can't connect powered adapters in an endless chain because of power.

And FW can supply up to 15 Watts of power, adapters can only provide a few watts for the next adapter...

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

can i do the same on a brand new Windows Laptop PC equipped with USB Type-C connection ?

anyone ?

i really don't want to drop my ff400 it works just fine and fits all my needs...

i've read apple adapters will work on pc too, but i would like to hear from someone about ff400, if anyone..

thanks

cyrano wrote:
libtech101 wrote:
MC wrote:

The point is that it's just a cable, no electronics.

The TB2 to FW adapter and the USB-C adapter both contain a complete computer and need power to function.

While you can almost endlessly connect cables together, you can't connect powered adapters in an endless chain because of power.

And FW can supply up to 15 Watts of power, adapters can only provide a few watts for the next adapter...

The point is that this connection works, which people were eager to know about.  And it works even with an "extra" adapter.

Hi guys! I read this (and other posts) but when I try this now (USB-C > Thunderbolt 2 > Thunderbolt 2 > Firewire 800 > FF800) it doesn't work. Plugged the firewire 800 cable directly in my 2010 MBP and it worked so the FF800 is working as it should. Any ideas where to start searching for a way to make it work? I installed the newest driver from RME.com.

Thanks

I'm also wondering what a working combination is with a Fireface 400 and 2016 Macbook Pro with only USB-C ports?

Reknes wrote:

Hi guys! I read this (and other posts) but when I try this now (USB-C > Thunderbolt 2 > Thunderbolt 2 > Firewire 800 > FF800) it doesn't work. Plugged the firewire 800 cable directly in my 2010 MBP and it worked so the FF800 is working as it should. Any ideas where to start searching for a way to make it work? I installed the newest driver from RME.com.

Thanks

Are you using the Apple adapters when using USB-C > Thunderbolt 2 > Thunderbolt 2 > Firewire 800? If not which brand?

HI ALL!

I Have a new iMac 2017 and Macbook pro 2017.
Look:
1. Use Adapters TB3 -> TB2, TB2 -> FW 800, Cabel FW800 -> FW400 and join RME Fireface.
2. Install driver according this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmrcKYf6TaI
3. YOU HAVE TO USE POWER ADAPTER!!! I USE POWER ADAPTER FROM EXTERNAL DISK WESTERN DIGITAL (12V)

IT WORKS!!!!!!!

PEACE, LOVE, AND GOOD SOUND!

JAN

Hi all

Happy owner of a Fireface400, I got a new Apple MacBook Pro Touch Bar with latest OS and the OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock (with the FW800 connector).
I can't get the Fireface to launch the driver..
I tried about everything.
Do you know of any incompatibility with the OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock ?
Thanks

Yan

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=27040

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

janzrz wrote:

HI ALL!

I Have a new iMac 2017 and Macbook pro 2017.
Look:
1. Use Adapters TB3 -> TB2, TB2 -> FW 800, Cabel FW800 -> FW400 and join RME Fireface.
2. Install driver according this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmrcKYf6TaI
3. YOU HAVE TO USE POWER ADAPTER!!! I USE POWER ADAPTER FROM EXTERNAL DISK WESTERN DIGITAL (12V)

IT WORKS!!!!!!!

PEACE, LOVE, AND GOOD SOUND!

JAN

What do you mean by "use a power adapter"?

He means the Fireface must be externally powered rather than bus powered.  It won't draw power from the Firewire cable anymore.

I'm about to give this a go on a brand new macbook pro with Catalina pre-installed (dammit).

Will let y'all know how I get on.

Seems to work well.  Although i'm having one problem! 

Any help much appreciated

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 65#p150265