Topic: Babyface Pro FS

So I saw a lot of praise about how well Babyface Pro works with Linux and I bought one. It got delivered today and I think I'm in for a big disappointment.
I managed to switch it to class compliant mode, that was easy enough to find on the internet, but I can only get sound out of it from the XLR outputs. I get nothing from the headphones or the SPDIF.
SPDIF is listed as an output but all of the sound gets sent to the XLR even with SPDIF selected.
I searched some more on the internet and it looks like this card might be only working with the XLR outputs on Linux. SPDIF out is essential for my setup and the main reason I bought this card over cheaper competitors that don't seem to have any optical outs these days.
Since I would rather not just pack it up and send it back to where I bought it, I registered here to ask if anyone knows if it is possible to use the other two outputs with the card.

Thank you.

Re: Babyface Pro FS

Did it come with a manual? Just asking.

If so, pages 9 to 10 may be helpful, as they lay out the manual operation of the unit.

Mixing options are useless for playback routing. What might work is changing the CC mode from normal to 'Copy mode', as explained in chapter 34.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

That worked. Really should have been simpler and more intuitive to set up, but I guess that's what I signed up for when I switched to Linux. It really sucks to frequently only get a fraction of functionality you pay for, but that's the price of freedom these days.

But just imagine being the first company to release a device with full Linux support and basically capture close to 100% of that market for a couple of years, until others figure out that there is money to be made there.

Thank you for your help. I guess I'll go register the product and the extra software and hopes that some day I'll be able to use that too.

That was a short lived victory. I got sound out of it, but now I tried to use it to record and got nothing. I even read all the manual sections that could have useful information too.

Input shows that it has signal. Output shows that it has signal (I set up monitoring to SPDIF according to the manual) and no sound was to be heard. I tried to get sound from multiple applications too. Still nothing. I get sound from basic sources like my media player but nothing from the input.

Is there another secret key press combination to make the inputs work? I used the 1/4" inputs. Tried both 3 and 4 with same outcome.

All 12 input channels are always available in CC mode.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I tried multiple applications and two distributions, and none of them work.
Bitwig for example works fine with my old Edirol UA-25EX but audio engine won't start with babyface.
Reaper gets no input from Babyface but works fine with Edirol.
Tonelib applications get no input from Babyface. Output sounds perfect at 2.7ms latency with Babyface. They get input and output with Edirol but it is all distorted. (This applications were the reason why I wanted to upgrade my interface).
Audacity get's no input from Babyface.
I ran out of applications to try it with. There is clearly something wrong with the drivers of Babyface Pro FS. At $900.00 one would expect this to work out of the box.

8 (edited by ramses 2020-02-01 16:28:41)

> At $900.00 one would expect this to work out of the box

Sure for Windows and Apple. These two operating systems are officially supported by RME.

Some RME devices, like BBF Pro FS, have a so called "Class Compliant mode" which is an OS independend standard.
CC mode works fine for Windows and Apple.

There are so many Linux Distributions out there (>200) ... some people claim, that class compliant mode works for Linux.
But which Distribution works best or for what kernel and sound daemon infrastructure I can't tell you, sorry.

Kind of "RME bashing" doesn't help you any further, RME made no promise or claims that it runs on Linux.
It's simply in your own responsibility to choose an Operating System which is not officially supported by RME.
Some people got it running on linux, maybe they can speak up, which distribution they choosed or
what "magic trick" on Linux made it work.

There is a Linux Subforum on RME Forum where you can ask and potentially get highest visibility for these kind of things.

Or alternatively ask in the Linux ALSA forums where you reach users and devs of the ALSA sound system.

There are also other sound systems available on Linux, but I remember that ALSA brought some support for some RME recording interfaces. They also maintain a database of which sound cards and recording interfaces are supported by them.

BR
Ramses
X10SRi-F, Win10 Pro 1909, Cubase, UFX+, Octamic XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS BE/R BE, RayDAT, ARC USB

While there is nothing stated that Linux is fully supported, it is implied in a number of instances. Just go to RME home page and serch for "Linux". There is nothing stating that RME interfaces don't work with Linux.
It's something that a lot of companies are doing these days to Linux users. They want our money but don't want to put any effort into providing full support. This is not unique to RME.
I'll be sending this interface back and look for an interface that better supports Linux.

> There is nothing stating that RME interfaces don't work with Linux.

Its the other way around. You have a good chance to get it running on OS which support audio devices with CC mode.
If it does not work, then its your responsibility to get it running under Linux.
Either by contacting people who maintain your distribution of choice and to get the clue what the show stopper is or
by checking the other around 250 distributions on your own by trial and error.

BR
Ramses
X10SRi-F, Win10 Pro 1909, Cubase, UFX+, Octamic XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS BE/R BE, RayDAT, ARC USB

Exactly. Not to mention that there are no 'RME drivers' involved under Linux. Our CC mode implementation works perfectly, that is a hardware standard. If it doesn't work on your system then there is nothing we can do about it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I have two other audio interfaces that both work without issues. They are lower quality and older, thus latency is not great, but they both work "plug and play". Inputs are available and I get audio from them. That was not the case with the Babyface.

I either got a defective unit or there is a problem with your CC mode implementation.
I will eventually pick up another manufacturer's Audio Interface and let you know if that one worked. So far all interfaces I tried and have access to have worked except for the Babyfaace.