Topic: ADI-2 pro fs, phone out, bass feels like being compressed

Hey guys,

Can anyone tried to compare phone out 3/4, when its source is AUTO or USB 1/2?
I first noticed this difference is about two months ago, but I just ignored it. Today I took my babyface pro out trying to record vocal which is as preamp, then I started to notice and compare the difference between babyface pro phone port and adi-2 pro fs phone port. This is subtle but noticeable. So I stopped recording and tried to find out what causing this compressed sound. After carefully digging menu of adi-2 pro fs, I finally stop at I/O --> PHONE OUT --> SOURCE.
I tried to listen to a few recordings that I am familiar, I can confirm this compressed effect appears when phone out source switching to Auto.

I hope someone could help me confirm whether this case is normal or not. Thx.

Re: ADI-2 pro fs, phone out, bass feels like being compressed

In Auto it might have used a different source...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

In Auto it might have used a different source...

Hi MC,

Thx for your reply. I can confirm that only one source which my adi-2 pro fs got, for example only usb or spdif provided, and no matter which one it is, the compressed sound is still there, affecting bass of recording. I think it sounds like the dynamic of the bass of the recording being compressed.

Maybe dynamic changes when source determining by auto? Bad guess, I think, and hope not making you confused.

Allen

If it's audible then there must be a logical explanation. The setting as such doesn't change anything, and we don't have compression or similar FX in the ADI.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Investigating the mentioned observation I made a comparison with the same music signal running twice through a 2min54s FFT average and comparing the results.

Intentionally I used music as signal source to eliminate any discrepancy between artificial and real life signals.

Seems I am not yet allowed to post pictures here so the only I can do is assure you that the difference is less then 1/10th of a dB all over the frequency range.
This is better than I expected the repeatability for such a measurement.

This means both signals are identical and I found no difference between "Input USB1/2" or "Input Auto" setting, over the whole frequency- and dynamic range.

ADI-2 pro latest Firmware.