1 (edited by MattLTH 2020-01-16 23:18:53)

Topic: RayDAT Latency and Low Performance

I have a RayDAT in a Windows-based PC. (MSI Gaming Pro Carbon X299, i9-7980XE, 64GB RAM, 2x Nvidia GTX-1080Ti, Windows 10 Pro 1909) For some reason, I'm getting terrible performance at buffer sizes lower than 512 samples. The audio turns fuzzy and I experience lots of dropouts. Even when I have the buffer set above 1,024 samples I still get drop-outs and glitches. The RayDAT is using its own internal clock and drivers 4.29. I'm using Cubase & Nuendo, Native Instruments VST instruments, Adobe Premiere Pro, WaveLab, and a variety of other audio programs, but the anomalies also appear when playing audio through Windows. (iTunes, YouTube, VLC, etc.) Sample frequencies are usually 44.1kHz or 48kHz. Audio I/O are 2x Focusrite Claretts & 1 Steinberg MR816CSX, but the glitches and fuzz are present no matter which hardware device I'm listening to.

Things I've already tried to no avail:

• Moving the RayDAT to a different PCIe slot

• Enabling/disabling MMCSS for ASIO, Optimize Multi-Client Mixing, ASIO 32 Channel Limit

• Changing the computer power settings

If anyone has had similar experiences, could you please share your solutions? I'd truly appreciate it.

Thanks,

MattLTH

Re: RayDAT Latency and Low Performance

If you have hyper-threading activated on BIOS, you can try switching it off to see if the situation improves. You will likely get better performance at very low latencies with hyper-threading off, at least in my experience (MSI X99A, i7 5960x, RayDAT).

You need to disable energy saving in the BIOS
and to check whether some drivers are blocking your cores (bad drivers, etc) -> LatencyMon.
There are many threads in terms of that in the forum, please have a look at these and learn from them.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

4 (edited by MattLTH 2020-02-15 00:47:46)

Thanks for everyone's input. I've solved the problem by turning off Intel Speedstep in the BIOS, so my CPU is now running at 4.2 GHz. It used to boost that high, but the constant frequency has resulted in stable VST Instrument performance without glitches or popping.

MattLTH

Congrats.

Every system seems to be a little bit different. In my case its a Supermicro X10SRi-F mainboard, Socket 2011-3, Chipset C610, CPU Xeon E5-1650v3, 32 GB ECC RAM.

I am testing with LatencyMon and with a 400 Track Cubase project at 44.1 and sometimes also 96 kHz. Each track has 2 VSTs, so in total over 800 VST (plus the ones in main output): https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … cks-de-en/

To post #2, when disabling Hyperthread Cores in the BIOS, then I have definitively worse performance.

To post #4:

My former system also worked best with fix CPU frequency.

My current system is a little bit different.
I have EIST and TURBO enabled.
My settings see here: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … -X10SRi-F/

For my CPU Base Clock is: 3.5 GHz, Turbo 3.8 GHz.

Keeping EIST enables me to control the amount of cores (CPU core parking) and CPU frequency by Windows Energy profiles that I fine tuned with the tool "parkcontrol" (free of charge version available) from Bitsum. https://bitsum.com/parkcontrol/

Activating TURBO enables the Xeon CPU to keep a slightly higher clock (+100 MHz permanently for all cores), I check that with CPUID HWMonitor: https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html.

With TURBO and all cores enabled I have a permanent clock of 3.6 GHz (+100 compared to Base clock). When running Cubase then clock goes down to 3.5 GHz, because Cubase uses AVX2 instructions (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_ … Extensions). AVX2 instructions seem to produce more heat, therefore Intel lowers the clock a little for those cores, that execute AVX2 instructions. As Cubase uses all cores and threads the whole CPU runs at 3.5 GHz then. On the other hand there shall be a performance gain when using the AVX2 instructions. No big deal.

The nice thing is now with EIST and TURBO, that I can use the Win Energy profiles to control my system.

With Parkcontrol I modified the Windows Energy profiles this way:
- High Performance: no cpu core parking, max frequency
- Balanced: 50% of all cores are parked (then I work fully on the main cores not the hyperthread cores).
Frequency Scaling set to a value that I am using 2.6 GHz for all cores, should be enough for office work.
- Energy saving: max CPU parking, lowest clock which is for me 1.2 GHz.

Cubase has its own Energy power plan, which deactivates CPU core parking entirely (parking CPU cores leads to high DPC values), you enable it by this option
Studio Settings -> [x] activate Modus for optimized audio performance (translated from german)

Why is this so nice part II .. I am additionally using Process Lasso Pro from Bitsum: https://bitsum.com/
It has some very nice features to have more fine grained control over processes and what energy profiles to use.

Example:

I am using balanced energy profile as a default, fine tuned to work with the main cores at 2.6 GHz reduced CPU clock as explained above (-> parkcontrol to fine tune energy profiles)

By using Process Lasso's feature "IdleSaver" the system changes automatically to "Energy saving" if I was not actively typing on the keyboad or using the mouse for i.e. 30 seconds (customizeable). Except another process activates a higher energy profile.

For certain applications, like backups (FreeFileSync), I am mapping Bitsums High Performance Profile, because it disables the Idle Saver feature, so that those applications can run at highest performance even if there is no user active actively working.

It allows also for other nice applications to pin a certain application, like a game, to certain CPU cores. I am doing this for i.e. for playing a CPU intensive game (X4 foundations). This made it possible to utilize the RTX 2070 SUPER GPU up to 100% to make full usage of the GPU (maybe you know that also the CPU needs to be able to "deliver" so that a GPU can work at max performance).

By this I have a very round and energy efficient setup that automatically chooses the proper energy profile, depending whether I am active on the PC and depending on what type of application is running.

For those people having a consumer mainboard the energy saving effect will be higher, because server components are not that much focused on low power consumption.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13