Topic: Raydat and Focusrite Clarett AD/DA Latency Offset

I am having an issue with the Raydat when connected to a Focusrite Clarett. Each time I cycle the power on the Clarett or make the clock resync, the AD/DA latency changes as much as 89 samples. I have to measure the latency each time in order to enter the correct value in my DAW to compensate. Has anyone else run across this issue?

Thanks

Re: Raydat and Focusrite Clarett AD/DA Latency Offset

This seems not possible in typical use cases.

Please explain in detail how everything is connected and which Clarett model you own, computer info, DAW software, etc.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

I have three Clarett Octopres and one Saffire Octopre Dynamic connected to the RayDat. I am using a PC with an Intel 4770K and  Windows 10. My DAW is Reaper but to test the problem I am using the Oblique Audio RTL Utility. I am testing on one Clarett looping output 1 back to input 1. I am using the RayDat as the clock source and the Octopres are syncing via ADAT. Each time I power cycle the Clarett, the latency changes by as much as 89 samples. It doesn't matter if the other Octopres are powered up or not. Also, if I cause the Clarett to resync by changing the source to something else and back to ADAT, the latency changes in the same manner.

I can also see the problem if I do the loopback test from Reaper.

The RayDat is new and I have installed firmware revision 16. The driver is 4.29.

Thanks for any help.

I haven't tested the Saffire Octopre. I'll do that next.

OK thanks. This sounded familiar and I did find the thread I was looking for. Sorry to break the news but this is a known problem with the Clarett.

https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view … mp;t=58912

We have now carried out testing in house and we can confirm that the Clarett OctoPre conversion latency at the digital to Analogue stage can vary up to a maximum of 22 samples (Eg. 0.45ms @ 48 kHz). This affects all channels in the same way and does not vary per channel or during continuous use. Latency variation can happen when the unit is power cycled which could impact some use cases.

We are putting steps in place to address this as quickly as possible and update the firmware for any future production. Due to the fact this unit is not field updatable, we will need to get the unit back from you to be updated. I will have someone arrange this with you in your support case.

If anyone else is experiencing this issue please get in touch with us via the contact form on our website and we will be happy to assist in getting this resolved.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thanks for the quick reply. I tested the other Claretts and the Saffire. The result is that I have two Claretts dated 03/20/18 that have the problem. Another Clarett dated 07/20/18 and the Saffire don't have the problem. It's time to issue a ticket with Focusrite.

Thanks again for the help.