1 (edited by annesley 2020-03-03 03:45:28)

Topic: Fireface 802 USB problem

I have been using my fireface 802 via USB without any issues for about 3 years now. I bought a new PC and installed windows fresh and installed latest drivers and everything was fine.
I am using Cubase 10.5.1.2 (Latest version) without an issue.
After I finish the session I closed down cubase and when trying to safely remove the RME USB from windows quick launch icon, it didnt work. I tried few times and it was unresponsive; I manually turned off the fireface and then about three windows appeared on the screen saying the device is currently in use;
This has never happened with cubase
Has anyone noticed it..
When i was trying to shut down the PC this error came: TMFXCallback: TotalMixFX.exe - Application Error

X  The instruction at 0x0000000000000000 referenced memory at 0x0000000000000000. The memory could not be written.

Any ideas

Thanks

Re: Fireface 802 USB problem

Curious why you would want to remove the device to begin with?  I too have a Fireface 802 on Windows and when I am done with my session, things are left as is.  I find it unnecessary to remove the device?

3 (edited by annesley 2020-03-03 06:23:45)

Thanks for the reply. I was doing it for the safety of the device as I thought its safer to remove the USB before turning the RME off from the power button before shutting down the PC..I have done that for many years and worked fine for me.This is a new problem.

4 (edited by ramses 2020-03-03 08:06:26)

annesley wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I was doing it for the safety of the device as I thought its safer to remove the USB before turning the RME off from the power button before shutting down the PC..I have done that for many years and worked fine for me.This is a new problem.

The eject function is only intended for removable storage devices wzB USB sticks, so that data - which might still be in buffers in the main memory - can still be written completely to the stick before removing the stick, so that there are no incomplete / corrupted files on the stick.

This is recommended for storage devices for these reasons.

With a recording interface this is unnecessary and in my opinion it is more likely to lead to errors if you remove the audio interface while the operating system is running.

The fact that it worked in the past can be due to all sorts of things, maybe just minor differences in the sound setup of Windows. To find out afterwards would probably be a difficult task. Basically it doesn't really matter, because it's not necessary anyway.

Please just do the necessary things on your computer and everything will work much better than overperforming and doing things you better shouldn't do.

Take i.e. care of a working backup / restore, this is better invested time.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks for the reply. So please let me know the procedure. Is it ok to turn off the RME from the power switch before windows shut down ?

6 (edited by ramses 2020-03-03 11:01:58)

It should be possible and I do a power cycle of my UFX+ after a firmware update without any issue.
Of course you should not have any application running, which uses the recording device like DAW, Music Player, etc.

But why ?! Simply shut down the PC, by this everything gets a clean shutdown.
And if the PC is off, then power off everything related to it.

Device drivers are eventually in interaction with the hardware and driver do not like it if you steal them the device during operation ... Therefore the natural order of things is to perform a clean shutdown of Windows before removing hardware.

The only exception is the USB bus because it has been designed to make it possible to plug and unplug devices easily EDIT: but also here, not if the device is actually in use via ASIO driver.
But if this doesn't work with the main audio card in the PC .. simply don't do it or simply do not use the eject function.

On the other hand, as I said, power cycle of an USB interface should not be an issue.
But I am not sure whether eject function does something additional which is perhaps not good for an audio device.
If it doesn't work then power cycle the device after firmware updates as I do.

Otherwise follow my advice to shutdown windows and then power off any other hardware.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks. I will try.

See my EDIT in post #6 to be extra clear on this.

... The only exception is the USB bus because it has been designed to make it possible to plug and unplug devices easily EDIT: but also here, not if the device is actually in use via ASIO driver ....

The 802 can also be used by WDM. Are there WDM devices activated in the Settings dialog?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME