1 (edited by scott_rage@hotmail.com 2020-03-10 09:57:55)

Topic: Guitar & Vocal Low Signal - How to boost in TotalMix?

Hi,
Apologies if this is the wrong place to post. My first post on the forum. I have looked at other similar posts, but couldn't find one for my specific issue.

I'm using:
BabyFace Pro
TotalMix Software
Ableton 10

I'm trying to record guitars and vocals in Ableton, but it's really quiet. I have signals, they can record ok and I can boost them in Ableton, but of course increasing the gain distorts the original sample signal. So I want to get more volume from the original guitar & vox signal without having to use external pre-amps.

At the moment, when I turn up the input signal on the BabyFace Pro, from the visual meter on the BFP it seems to limit the sound to about halfway up. It never goes above 50%. So I open TotalMix to see if I can boost there, but everything is up at max and can't go any higher.

Is there a way to make external signals louder with wither the BFP or TotalMix? I've read some other threads on the forum and it talks about switching TotalMix to "Instrument Mode" but I don't know how to do that.

I'm plugging my guitar into Input 3 with a 1/4 jack and I'm plugging the Rode NT1 mic (with the phantom power selected in TotalMix) into input 1. But always the same problem, low signal now matter how much I turn up the BFP or TM.

Would be grateful of any help please?

Re: Guitar & Vocal Low Signal - How to boost in TotalMix?

I've found the "Instrument" button. But still it sounds quite low when I put the guitar in.

Enabling INSTR alone is not enough, you need to increase the gain.
How is your gain setting ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

You also have the input sensitivity setting, either -10 dBV or +4 dBu. The -10 setting would increase the sensitivity, which makes the signal higher.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

5 (edited by scott_rage@hotmail.com 2020-03-12 13:48:06)

Brillaint, the gain and -10db sorted it perfectly. Thanks Jeff you're a star!! I can now record properly.

where did you find the 'instrument' button in totalmix or on the babyface pro?

7 (edited by ramses 2022-04-29 17:53:47)

There is none. Pls check manual. AN3/4 IN are high impedance Line/Instrument inputs (for both purposes). You can read in the technical section, that there is only one value for input impedance: 1MOhm.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

okay thank you, I already read something about this, but thanks for conforming.
Its disappointing though, because I find the input gain level pretty low from AN3/4.
I need to up the gain with the 10dBu and gain +9 setting but this induces a noise floor.

I'm starting to think I might be better of with a UAD audio interface with its preamps and HI-Z input. Or would it be the same in terms of gain?