Topic: AIO - left side volume exceptionally soft and distorted

I noticed no sound from the left speaker. I checked the following: amplifier and speaker with another input, works fine. All wires secure. I plugged a known good set of headphones directly into the phone output of the AIO, and got the same issue.

I went to windows and raised Left volume to 100 and lowered Right volume to 4. I could then hear very soft and distorted sound from the left side.

Firmware 14 and driver 4.29 (current versions), Windows 10 Build 18363, Intel Core i7 4770K, Gigabyte motherboard. I first noticed the problem in the past few weeks.

Is it possible that one side of the RME AIO is malfunctioning?

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Re: AIO - left side volume exceptionally soft and distorted

With which Application does this happen and which driver is this application using ? The Windows or the ASIO driver ?
Did you reset the Mixer already ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Ramses:
It happens with many applications: Firefox browser, Zoom, Windows Sound Settings, pretty much everything I tried. The driver is WDM. I did not try resetting the mixer - I'm currently working remotely for my job and won't have time to do that until later today.
--Dean

Thanks, this is what I wanted to find out. WDM driver.
So please check
- whether using ASIO makes a difference
- whether reset of mixer makes a difference
- whether you have latest firmware and driver, otherwise upgrade and retry

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I ran firmware update (version 14) and reinstalled driver 4.29. I reset the mixer, and played back a file using ASIO. The left side is still dead.

Do you have any suggestions? I appreciate your help.

--Dean

6 (edited by dsurkin 2020-03-21 02:35:37)

I also made sure to disable the sound chip on the motherboard. No change.

The totalMix screen shows that both channels are playing at about equal volume. I'm listening with the headphones on now, and I must have crossed the wiring to my output amp, because it's the right channel that's silent and the left channel that works.

I tested playback of the same digital file on my wife's computer (using her motherboard's sound chip) and both channels work, so it's not a problem with the music source.

I'll try uninstalling the card in Device Manager, reboot and reinstall.

Update: tried it, no difference. I re-enabled the motherboard's sound chip and both sides played as expected. I next switched out the unbalanced breakout cable for the balanced breakout cable, and I still only get sound on one side.

I've run out of tests to perform, and look forward to suggestions from anyone.

--Dean

If the volume imbalance is not visible in Totalmix, either the breakout cable or the card's DA conversion may be defective.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Since I tried both breakout cables (balanced and unbalanced) and got the same result, it seems that the card's DA conversion must be the culprit.

Does this mean the card must be replaced?

Please contact the retailer or local distributor for service options.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks, but I bought it used. I fell back to the motherboard's sound chip and I'll address this after the pandemic ebbs and finances stabilize.